Aug 26, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
There isn’t a whole lot of skating going on at the U.S. and Canada men’s hockey orientation camps, but there has been a bit of talking.
Of the more interesting shared topics is the most memorable moment of the 2010 Vancouver Olympics — Sidney Crosby‘s overtime goal past U.S. goalie Ryan Miller in the gold-medal game that lifted Canada over the U.S. on the final day of the Games.
Both players were asked about the moment at their orientation camps. Neither seemed too interested in reflecting.
“I don’t think about it that much,” Crosby told the Calgary Sun. “Coming to this (camp) almost allows you turn the page a little bit on it. This is a new Olympics. It’s a great memory, don’t get me wrong, but this is a new challenge.”
Miller expounded a little more.
“No, it’s not something I want to beat myself up about,” Miller told CSN Washington. “I played the tournament aggressively. I saw an opportunity. He obviously didn’t mishandle the puck, but the puck came into his skates on the pass.
“I thought he was going to change his angle, and he didn’t. I made a decision that I anticipated something to happen, and it didn’t happen. I made a mistake, and it went in the net.
“No one feels worse than I did. You get over it and keep playing.”
Crosby is pretty much assured of a spot on the Canadian Olympic team in Sochi, assuming he’s healthy.
Miller, though, is in a fight to make the U.S. team. Jonathan Quick of the Los Angeles Kings is seen as the No. 1 right now. Miller, 33, is likely in competition with Jimmy Howard, Cory Schneider and Craig Anderson for one of the other two spots. His play with the Sabres over the early part of the NHL season will be key before the U.S. team is named in January.
- Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps hope to meet for first time before Olympic farewell 0
- What U.S.’ FIBA World Cup title means for Olympics 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ Nike contract terminated 5
- Oscar Pistorius would be allowed in Paralympics after serving sentence 1
- Oscar Pistorius guilty of culpable homicide (verdict video) 3
- Mikaela Shiffrin eyes breakthrough with World Cup season approaching 0
- Oscar Pistorius trial judge rules out murder, verdict incomplete 4
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)