Aug 26, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
There isn’t a whole lot of skating going on at the U.S. and Canada men’s hockey orientation camps, but there has been a bit of talking.
Of the more interesting shared topics is the most memorable moment of the 2010 Vancouver Olympics — Sidney Crosby‘s overtime goal past U.S. goalie Ryan Miller in the gold-medal game that lifted Canada over the U.S. on the final day of the Games.
Both players were asked about the moment at their orientation camps. Neither seemed too interested in reflecting.
“I don’t think about it that much,” Crosby told the Calgary Sun. “Coming to this (camp) almost allows you turn the page a little bit on it. This is a new Olympics. It’s a great memory, don’t get me wrong, but this is a new challenge.”
Miller expounded a little more.
“No, it’s not something I want to beat myself up about,” Miller told CSN Washington. “I played the tournament aggressively. I saw an opportunity. He obviously didn’t mishandle the puck, but the puck came into his skates on the pass.
“I thought he was going to change his angle, and he didn’t. I made a decision that I anticipated something to happen, and it didn’t happen. I made a mistake, and it went in the net.
“No one feels worse than I did. You get over it and keep playing.”
Crosby is pretty much assured of a spot on the Canadian Olympic team in Sochi, assuming he’s healthy.
Miller, though, is in a fight to make the U.S. team. Jonathan Quick of the Los Angeles Kings is seen as the No. 1 right now. Miller, 33, is likely in competition with Jimmy Howard, Cory Schneider and Craig Anderson for one of the other two spots. His play with the Sabres over the early part of the NHL season will be key before the U.S. team is named in January.
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired 0
- Simone Biles still buzzing after World Championships whirlwind 0
- Gracie Gold calls audible, adds lyrics for post-Olympic season 0
- Meryl Davis, Charlie White look to uncertain future in ice dancing 0
- U.S. women’s volleyball wins breakthrough World Championship (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)