Aug 26, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT
FIFA is likely to move the Qatar World Cup out of the oppressive Middle Eastern summer heat, but it’s not looking to hold it during potential 2022 Winter Olympic dates.
FIFA president Sepp Blatter has suggested a November World Cup rather than the usual June/July, when temperatures in Qatar regularly breach 100 degrees, and recent speculation is a move to May, according to The Associated Press.
“What will be the ongoing situation with such a decision, we have to look on the international calendar,” Blatter said, according to the AP. “We have to look if and how it is possible, when we don’t play in summer, when is the best time to play in winter?”
Blatter was likely referring to soccer’s international calendar. The top leagues in Europe are beginning their seasons now, and they typically run through May if you include domestic cup competitions and Champions League.
Blatter told the AP the decision to move the World Cup from its usual slot will likely be made in October. Consultation on the best time to host the tournament will begin after that.
All Winter Olympics since 1964 have been held entirely in the month of February, and that trend will continue in 2014 and 2018. The dates for the 2022 Winter Games have not been set, and the deadline for cities to bid is Nov. 14.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Olympic champion swimmer posts Instagram videos.
Aug 21, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
A U.S. Summer Olympic Opening Ceremony flag bearer hasn’t won individual Olympic gold since 1960.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
Four past U.S. all-around champions are in the field in Pittsburgh.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Also, a rare defeat for Olympic pole vault champion.
Aug 21, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Olympic all-around champion says she’ll stay in Columbus through 2016 Olympics.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
Ledecky nearly broke another world record.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
NBA legends channeled; Olympic silver medalist on judging panel.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:49 AM EDT
Ukrainian’s error costs Moldovan teammate a shot at the podium.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
U.S. star first suffered back spasms at Tuesday practice.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Defending champion feels no added pressure despite seeing her face all around Pittsburgh.
Aug 20, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
Would Davis excel in softball if she tried it?
Aug 20, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
Can Allyson Felix finally topple Tori Bowie?
Aug 20, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
First medals awarded on an Olympic stage in rugby since 1924.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Lily Zhang scored a breakthrough for U.S. table tennis.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:28 AM EDT
Gold medalists Hannah Moore and Clara Smiddy will go from Nanjing to Ann Arbor.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
U.S. vs. Australia in sprint head to head; outlook for Phelps and Lochte.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Will Katie Ledecky be tested?
Aug 20, 2014, 5:34 AM EDT
Phelps’ debut in Australia pushed back to Friday.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:08 AM EDT
Video of Franklin being gingerly helped away from the pool.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
Phelps also reflects on his first Olympics, also in Australia.
- Amy Van Dyken-Rouen stands, walks with assistance for first time since accident (video) 0
- Sam Mikulak leads one of most decorated P&G Championships fields ever 0
- Katie Ledecky wins 2 Pan Pacs titles; Missy Franklin places 3rd 1
- Simone Biles a tall favorite at P&G Championships; women’s preview 0
- Jennie Finch, Lisa Fernandez weigh in on Mo’ne Davis 0
- Pan Pacific Championships men’s events preview 0
- Pan Pacific Championships women’s events preview 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)