Aug 26, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT
FIFA is likely to move the Qatar World Cup out of the oppressive Middle Eastern summer heat, but it’s not looking to hold it during potential 2022 Winter Olympic dates.
FIFA president Sepp Blatter has suggested a November World Cup rather than the usual June/July, when temperatures in Qatar regularly breach 100 degrees, and recent speculation is a move to May, according to The Associated Press.
“What will be the ongoing situation with such a decision, we have to look on the international calendar,” Blatter said, according to the AP. “We have to look if and how it is possible, when we don’t play in summer, when is the best time to play in winter?”
Blatter was likely referring to soccer’s international calendar. The top leagues in Europe are beginning their seasons now, and they typically run through May if you include domestic cup competitions and Champions League.
Blatter told the AP the decision to move the World Cup from its usual slot will likely be made in October. Consultation on the best time to host the tournament will begin after that.
All Winter Olympics since 1964 have been held entirely in the month of February, and that trend will continue in 2014 and 2018. The dates for the 2022 Winter Games have not been set, and the deadline for cities to bid is Nov. 14.
- Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards 0
- Analyzing the U.S. gymnastics women’s World Championships team 0
- Shaun White ‘more motivated’ to compete than before Sochi 0
- Lolo Jones eliminated from ‘Dancing with the Stars’ 5
- Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps hope to meet for first time before Olympic farewell 0
- What U.S.’ FIBA World Cup title means for Olympics 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ Nike contract terminated 6
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)