Aug 22, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
The International Olympic Committee received a letter from the Russian government on Thursday saying visitors at the Sochi Olympics will be welcome regardless of sexual orientation and at the same time defending the country’s new law.
“The Russian Federation guarantees the fulfillment of its obligations before the International Olympic Committee in its entirety,” Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Kozak wrote.
Kozak defended a law passed in June banning the “propagandizing” of nontraditional sexual relations toward minors in Russia.
The law “cannot be regarded as discrimination based on sexual orientation,” as it applies to everybody, Kozak wrote, according to The Associated Press.
The IOC said two weeks ago it needed clarification on Russia’s law, citing a translation issue.
“We have today received strong written reassurances from the Russian government that everyone will be welcome at the Games in Sochi regardless of their sexual orientation,” IOC President Jacques Rogge said in a statement Thursday.
Kozak added this in the letter, according to Reuters:
“In particular, legislation of the Russian Federation does not stipulate any restrictions or differentiation of the rights and responsibilities of citizens on the basis of sexual orientation.
“Discrimination against sexual minorities, just as any other discrimination, is expressly forbidden by the Constitution of the Russian Federation.”
Aug 23, 2014, 8:28 AM EDT
Ledecky beat her own mark in the 400m freestyle.
Aug 23, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
FIVB Men’s World Championship begins in one week.
Aug 23, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT
“It’s something that’s so outlandish that I think it actually might work,” coach says.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
Finals at 5 a.m. ET.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:22 PM EDT
Orozco is looking to win his second U.S. all-around title in three years.
Aug 22, 2014, 6:47 PM EDT
Douglas and Biles became fast friends rooming together in June.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
U.S. coach noticed a bent, old bike and decided something had to be done.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
U.S. women undefeated in six games so far.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
U.S. had to come from behind in both relays.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
Finals at 5 a.m. ET on Friday.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
Olympian Kyla Ross struggled.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Olympic champion swimmer posts Instagram videos.
Aug 21, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
A U.S. Summer Olympic Opening Ceremony flag bearer hasn’t won individual Olympic gold since 1960.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
Four past U.S. all-around champions are in the field in Pittsburgh.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Also, a rare defeat for Olympic pole vault champion.
Aug 21, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Olympic all-around champion says she’ll stay in Columbus through 2016 Olympics.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
Ledecky nearly broke another world record.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
NBA legends channeled; Olympic silver medalist on judging panel.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:49 AM EDT
Ukrainian’s error costs Moldovan teammate a shot at the podium.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
U.S. star first suffered back spasms at Tuesday practice.
- Katie Ledecky breaks world record, Michael Phelps wins at Pan Pacs 0
- John Orozco’s mom on his mind as he leads P&G Championships 0
- Bond between Gabby Douglas, Simone Biles 0
- Michael Phelps, Missy Franklin 4th in 100 free, win Pan Pacs relay golds 0
- Simone Biles dominates to open P&G Championships 0
- Amy Van Dyken-Rouen stands, walks with assistance for first time since accident (video) 3
- Sam Mikulak leads one of most decorated P&G Championships fields ever 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)