Aug 22, 2013, 2:43 PM EST
Madrid is getting serious about the Sept. 7 vote for the host city of the 2020 Olympics, bringing in the country’s most famous sports stars to endorse its candidacy.
Basketball player Pau Gasol, tennis player Rafael Nadal, soccer player Cristiano Ronaldo (who is Portuguese but plays for Real Madrid) and retired cyclist Miguel Indurain recently filmed a promotional video, according to Spanish sports newspaper Marca.
Gasol, who recently attended the World Swimming Championships in Barcelona, is expected to be on hand in Buenos Aires for the International Olympic Committee vote Sept. 7. IOC members will choose from among Madrid, Tokyo and Istanbul to be the host city of the 2020 Olympics.
Nadal may be there, too, according to Benabeu Digital, pending his performance at the U.S. Open, which begins Monday. The men’s final is Sunday, Sept. 8.
Gasol was Spain’s flag bearer at the 2012 Olympic opening ceremony. A three-time Olympian, he helped Spain to silver medals in 2008 and 2012.
Nadal made his Olympic debut at age 18 in 2004, playing doubles with Carlos Moya. He didn’t medal until 2008, winning men’s singles gold, and missed the 2012 Olympics due to injury.
Ronaldo played for Portugal at the 2004 Olympics at age 19. The Portuguese were beaten by Iraq and didn’t make it out of group play.
Indurain, the five-time Tour de France champion from 1991 to 1995, competed in two Olympics separated by 12 years. He won gold in the time trial at the 1996 Games, where Lance Armstrong finished sixth two months before he was diagnosed with cancer.
- Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir at Super Bowl Media Day (video) 0
- Galen Rupp talks training with Mo Farah, marathons, weird drug test story 0
- Russian Olympic, World champions get doping bans 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin lead World Alpine Skiing Championships women’s preview 1
- Rio 2016 Olympic torch relay details announced 0
- K.C. Boutiette returns to World Cup speed skating for first time since 2006 0
- Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)