Aug 21, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Olympic all-around champion Gabby Douglas said goodbye to Liang Chow‘s gym in West Des Moines, Iowa, on Monday.
“She came over (Monday) and said goodbye to us,” Chow’s wife, Liwen Zhuang, told the Des Moines Register. “I didn’t ask her (the reasons). I did talk to her. She was a little upset. I guess that’s a family decision for her.”
Liwen said Douglas’ family moved to Los Angeles, and Douglas is joining them there, according to the newspaper. She said she was caught by surprise and that “it’s kind of awkward.”
Douglas, a Virginia native, had lived and trained in Iowa since age 14 in 2010 at Chow’s gym. Under Chow’s training, she made the U.S. team for the 2011 World Championships at age 15, and won the 2012 U.S. Olympic trials all-around at age 16.
Douglas starred on the U.S. gold-medal winning team at the London Olympics and won all-around gold two days later. She took time off after the Games but returned to training at Chow’s gym in May and was expected to return to competition next year with an eye on trying to make the 2016 U.S. Olympic team.
No female gymnast has made back-to-back U.S. Olympic teams since 2000.
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals 1
- Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos) 0
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired 0
- Simone Biles still buzzing after World Championships whirlwind 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)