Aug 20, 2013, 9:23 AM EST
Two members of the Russian women’s 4×400-meter relay team who gained attention for kissing at the World Track and Field Championships denied it was out of protest of Russia’s anti-gay law.
One of the 4×400 team members called one of the published images a photographer’s “sick fantasy,” according to R-Sport.
The photograph to the right is of Ksenia Ryzhova and Yulia Guschina kissing, according to R-Sport. It was reported previously that it was of Ryzhova and Tatyana Firova.
“The storm of emotions going through us was incredible,” Ryzhova said, according to The Associated Press. “And if we, accidentally, while congratulating each other, touched lips, excuse me. We think the whole fuss is more of a sick fantasy not grounded in anything.”
All four members of the 4×400-meter final team exchanged kisses on the podium after receiving their gold medals (video here).
“Yesterday I got calls from probably 20 different media outlets and instead of congratulating us for the gold medal, they decided to insult me and Julia (Guschina) and the entire federation,” Ryzhova said at a Moscow press conference Tuesday, according to R-Sport.
Ryzhova said she and Guschina have no personal relationship and are both married.
- Katie Ledecky faces decisions in 2015, 2016 0
- Michael Phelps back in the pool; Phelps, Ledecky win Golden Goggles 2
- Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84 1
- Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban 0
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard (video); Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)