Aug 18, 2013, 9:20 AM EST
Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion Shaun White missed the slopestyle competition after a crash in training at the FIS World Cup stop in Cardrona, New Zealand.
White, 26, suffered an ankle injury, according to multiple reports out of New Zealand. It is unknown if White will be able to compete in the halfpipe. Qualifying starts Thursday.
White aims to win double gold at the Sochi Olympics, an eye on his third straight title in the halfpipe and a first in the new Olympic event of slopestyle. He won four straight Winter X Games titles in slopestyle from 2003-06 but took fifth at this year’s X Games.
If White is on his game in slopestyle in Sochi, he’ll have a showdown with Canadian Mark McMorris, 19, the two-time reigning X Games champion.
White’s band, Bad Things, will release its debut album Oct. 8, four months before the Olympics. White said he will tour with the band after the album comes out.
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 0
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)