Aug 17, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
Swedish high jumper Emma Green Tregaro made headlines Thursday when she competed in high jump qualifying at the World Championships with rainbow-colored nails to support Russia’s gay community.
Green Tregaro showed up for Saturday’s final at Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow with a different pattern on her nails — red.
The rainbow pattern Thursday breached IAAF regulations, Swedish athletics general secretary Anders Albertsson said.
“We have been informally approached by the IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations) saying that this is by definition, a breach of the regulations,” Albertsson told reporters, according to Reuters. “The code of conduct clearly states the rules do not allow any commercial or political statements during the competition.”
Emma Green Tregaro said IAAF and Swedish Fed asked her not to paint nails rainbow color. She chose red instead because,"I believe in love"—
Christopher Clarey (@christophclarey) August 17, 2013
Russian pole vault champion Yelena Isinbayeva criticized Green Tregaro and fellow Swede athlete 200-meter runner Moa Hjelmer for their nails Thursday, saying it was “disrespectful to our country” while standing by Russia’s law banning the “propagandizing of nontraditional sexual relations toward minors.”
Isinbayeva backtracked from her comments Friday.
- Brazil eyes 27 to 30 medals at Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt not happy with Tyson Gay’s reduced ban 1
- Gabby Douglas helps girl’s dream come true with Make-A-Wish 0
- Guide to the Commonwealth Games 0
- 90-plus-year-old men set 3 world relay records at USATF Masters 0
- Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics chief quits 0
- Tori Bowie, Justin Gatlin star at Monaco Diamond League meet 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)