Aug 17, 2013, 11:33 AM EST
Swedish high jumper Emma Green Tregaro made headlines Thursday when she competed in high jump qualifying at the World Championships with rainbow-colored nails to support Russia’s gay community.
Green Tregaro showed up for Saturday’s final at Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow with a different pattern on her nails — red.
The rainbow pattern Thursday breached IAAF regulations, Swedish athletics general secretary Anders Albertsson said.
“We have been informally approached by the IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations) saying that this is by definition, a breach of the regulations,” Albertsson told reporters, according to Reuters. “The code of conduct clearly states the rules do not allow any commercial or political statements during the competition.”
Russian pole vault champion Yelena Isinbayeva criticized Green Tregaro and fellow Swede athlete 200-meter runner Moa Hjelmer for their nails Thursday, saying it was “disrespectful to our country” while standing by Russia’s law banning the “propagandizing of nontraditional sexual relations toward minors.”
Isinbayeva backtracked from her comments Friday.
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 1
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)