Aug 17, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
How did the world’s most athletic husband and wife celebrate their World Championship performances? McDonald’s and Krispy Kreme, of course.
Ashton Eaton followed up his world record and Olympic gold in the decathlon last year by taking the world championship in the event Sunday. With it, he retained the title of world’s greatest athlete.
Wife Brianne Theisen-Eaton then took silver in the heptathlon two days later in Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow.
The world’s most athletic couple were married in July, the highlight of a post-Olympic year that included the oft-told tale of Theisen-Eaton nearly stabbing Eaton with a wayward javelin throw in training.
But what went down Saturday in Moscow was certainly memorable, too. First, a trip to McDonald’s.
Then, as luck would have it, free Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Perhaps this was an effort by the Russians to slow them down. Check back in two years at the 2015 World Championships in Beijing.
The man with the apt Twitter handle, @tracksuperfan, tipped us off to a related video of John Belushi‘s decathlon triumph powered by Little Chocolate Donuts (and the voice of Marv Albert.)
- Mixed results for World champions in Zurich 0
- Los Angeles’ ties to the Olympics 1
- Five events to watch at Zurich Diamond League 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid is official 1
- Top ten storylines from World Track and Field Championships 0
- USOC, Los Angeles agree to 2024 Olympic bid, reports say 1
- U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003 3
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)