Aug 16, 2013, 9:45 AM EST
Oscar Pistorius will be indicted for premeditated murder of Reeva Steenkamp when he returns to court in South Africa on Monday with a trial date set for early 2014, prosecutors told The Associated Press.
Pistorius, 26, shot and killed his girlfriend, Steenkamp, on the early hours of Valentine’s Day. Pistorius, the first double amputee to compete in the Olympics, said he thought Steenkamp was an intruder when he fired through the bathroom door of his Pretoria home.
Premeditated murder in South Africa carries with it a life sentence with a minimum of 25 years in prison if convicted, according to the AP.
National Prosecuting Authority spokesman Medupe Simasiku told the AP the exact trial date will likely be set in Pretoria on Monday, which would have been Steenkamp’s 30th birthday.
South African media reported Friday that Pistorius could face additional charges related to two incidents of shooting guns in public, firing a gun in a Johannesburg restaurant in January and also shooting through the sunroof of a friend’s car.
- South Korean Olympic swim champ Park Tae-hwan fails drug test 0
- Jason Brown wins first U.S. figure skating title 2
- Lindsey Vonn wins final race before World Championships (video) 0
- Ashley Wagner shatters records for third U.S. figure skating title 3
- Chloe Kim wins Winter X Games halfpipe at age 14 0
- Lindsey Vonn struggles in St. Moritz downhill (video) 0
- Jason Brown leads U.S. short program; quad debate stoked 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)