Aug 16, 2013, 1:37 PM EDT
The anticipated showdown between Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Allyson Felix in the 200 meters at the World Championships ended after about 50 meters when Felix pulled up and fell to the track with a torn right hamstring.
Fraser-Pryce went on to win the final in 22.17 seconds. The Ivory Coast’s Murielle Ahoure got silver in 22.32, and Nigeria’s Blessing Okagbare earned bronze in the same time.
As Fraser-Pryce celebrated, several people tried to help Felix onto a stretcher, but then brother Wes picked up Felix and carried her off the track. Felix was later put on a stretcher.
“I’m extremely devastated,” Felix said, according to USATF. “I was really hoping to go out there and put together a great race. Now I am consulting with doctors to figure out what is going on with my right hamstring. It is a serious injury, but I don’t know exactly to what extent. I wish all of my teammates the best for the rest of the meet.”
The Jamaican Fraser-Pryce became the fourth woman to sweep the 100 and 200 at the World Championships, joining three Germans from 1983, 1987 and 1991.
“I was so nervous,” Fraser-Pryce told NBC Sports reporter Lewis Johnson on Universal Sports. “A couple years ago, I hated the 200. … I put my mind and energy and focus in the 200. It paid off.”
Felix, who shares the record for most career World Championship gold medals with eight, was thought to be a candidate for the 4×100 and/or 4×400 relays for the U.S. this weekend before the injury.
Felix, a three-time world champion in the 200, said before worlds that she would rather try to add the 400 meters to her schedule for the 2016 Olympics than the 100.
She ran the 100 and the 200 in London, winning the 200 and placing fifth in the 100. She ran the 400 at the 2011 World Championships and took silver in a personal best time, missing gold by .03 of a second.
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m 3
- Allyson Felix wins 400m, breaks U.S. record for Worlds medals; Rio preview? 1
- Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin’s first race together from 2005 (video) 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid logo, renderings released 0
- Usain Bolt, Justin Gatlin set up duel; South African stretchered off after 400m gold 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)