Aug 6, 2013, 3:30 AM EDT
Shaun White‘s had a blast touring with his band, Bad Things, this summer, but it’s time to focus on snowboarding again.
“We’re taking a quick break so daddy can go do what he does best,” Bad Things lead singer Davis LeDuke told Billboard in a video interview from Lollapalooza in Chicago over the weekend, where the band was a surprise headliner on one stage.
“Papa’s gotta go,” White said. “I gotta go practice in New Zealand.”
More than practice. White is slated to compete in a winter sports festival halfpipe competition that includes Switzerland’s 2013 world champion Iouri Podladtchikov and Finland’s Markus Malin, who took silver to White at the Winter X Games.
Bad Things wraps up its tour in Minneapolis on Friday. Its debut album is reported to come out later this year.
“I’m looking forward to it, but not really, because this (touring) is really fun,” White said. “I come back when the record comes out, and we’ll probably play some more shows, and then I’m off to try to do the Olympics. No pressure.”
“Just the Olympics, that’s all,” LeDuke said.
White also said he got hooked on music after receiving a guitar as a prize for winning a snowboard contest at an X Games.
“I think my time on the mountain, snowboarding, is just as important as my time off,” White said. “You’ve got to keep it fun. I’ve been doing snowboarding since I was 6 years old. I went pro at 13. To keep that fun and exciting, you need to take a break from it.
“This was that perfect opportunity to play music and have something to do in the summer time to get my mind off it, and then go back to it. We’re definitely doing that.”
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m 3
- Allyson Felix wins 400m, breaks U.S. record for Worlds medals; Rio preview? 1
- Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin’s first race together from 2005 (video) 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid logo, renderings released 0
- Usain Bolt, Justin Gatlin set up duel; South African stretchered off after 400m gold 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)