Aug 6, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
It’s early August, which in golf means it’s PGA Championship week. That will change in 2016.
Golf returns to the Olympics in Rio in 2016, when the Games run from Aug. 5-21. The PGA Championship will be held at Baltustrol in New Jersey in three years, but it likely won’t be in August, PGA of America president Ted Bishop told Golf Channel.
“We haven’t set a date yet for 2016, but I doubt very seriously if it would be after Labor Day,” he said. “I would think that what you’re going to see in 2016 probably would be a sliding forward of the majors. I think the discussions we’ve had would be if the PGA Championship would probably take place some time in late July, a couple of weeks after the Open Championship.”
The Olympic golf tournaments will include 60 men and 60 women in an individual 72-hole stroke-play format. For the men, the top 15 players in the Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR) will earn automatic spots up to four players for one nation. The remaining spots are filled by the remaining nations receiving two spots per gender, again using the OWGR.
Ty Votaw, vice president of the International Golf Federation, also provided an update on the Rio golf course, the specifics of the tournament and more.
Sep 23, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
USA Swimming Olympic Trials time standards reveal Ledecky’s greatness.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Board already included former NFL commissioner.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Doug Ulman calls last two years “most stressful” period of his life.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT
Olympic champion’s scheduled Grand Prix events are in November.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT
Chinese Olympic champion evens head to head with Japan’s rising star in Incheon.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Canadians not ruling out return to ice dancing.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Raty nearly did something two Canadian Olympic women’s goalies couldn’t do against the men.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:41 PM EDT
U.S. women must cut one more player before FIBA World Championships.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
London Games voted No. 1 overall.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT
Figure skater to be questioned over doping by her ex-boyfriend, Olympic champ race walker.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
World’s greatest swimmer on display at Asian Games.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
Lead cyclist hits fence, trailing cyclist breaks pelvis.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Upset of dynastic Brazil sets off bedlam inside arena, outside streets for host nation.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:35 AM EDT
Walsh Jennings, Ross played with interesting keys looped through chains Sunday.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:08 AM EDT
Uzbekistan gymnast has competed at World Championships since 1991.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:48 AM EDT
Ledecky broke five world records in two months this year.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
“I would be 36 for Rio. That’s probably just getting on a bit too much.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
Spearmon lost a 2008 Olympic medal due to disqualification and finished fourth in the 2012 Olympic 200m.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
Komova won Olympic all-around silver behind Gabby Douglas.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT
There was concern Olympic host nation wouldn’t be able to qualify in hockey.
- Katie Ledecky would qualify for Olympic Trials in men’s events 0
- Kosuke Hagino: I’m trying to become like Michael Phelps 0
- Poland wins World Volleyball Championship at home, pandemonium (photos, videos) 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross complete perfect AVP season after wardrobe malfunction 0
- Katie Ledecky wins USA Swimming Athlete of the Year; who are World Swimmers of the Year? 0
- Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months 0
- Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)