Aug 4, 2013, 11:44 AM EST
It didn’t take long for Shaun White‘s band to hit it big.
The Los Angeles-based band Bad Things, for which the snowboarder White plays lead guitar, was introduced at Chicago’s famed Grant Park by none other than Lollapalooza founder Perry Farrell on Saturday.
Grant Park, known as “Chicago’s front yard,” is most famous in sports circles for hosting the Chicago Bulls’ NBA championships celebrations in the 1990s.
The Bad Things’ gig came four days after the band canceled its scheduled Aug. 3 show in Providence, R.I.
On Friday afternoon, the bad made the Lollapalooza gig Twitter official.
The scheduled Saturday headliner on The Grove Stage, Azealia Banks, dropped out with a throat infection earlier last week. The replacements, the Death Grips, reportedly didn’t show up for a Chicago after-party Friday night. That left White’s band to take its place, according to USA Today.
Professional snowboarder/skateboarder “Shaun White is hanging out here, he’s got his band (Bad Things) with him. So we asked, ‘Do you want to jump in and take that slot?’ So he’s going to do it,” Lollapalooza founder Perry Farrell revealed earlier in the day.
So, Bad Things performed last, at 8:45 p.m., on The Grove Stage.
- David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Marcel Hirscher’s historically dominant win just about ends Ted Ligety’s title hopes (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined 0
- Elana Meyers Taylor wins historic bobsled World Championship (video) 1
- World’s most athletic couple takes the next leap 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)