Jul 30, 2013, 7:28 AM EDT
The medals for August’s track and field world championships were released Tuesday. The Moscow organizers deserve style points for originality.
R-Sport described them as having a hollowed-out whirlwind design.
“There is everything I like about these medals,” IAAF vice president Seb Coe said, according to R-Sport. “It’s traditional in shape and it feels right in the athlete’s hand. I think it is a perfect medal.”
The world championships run Aug. 10-18.
- U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds 0
- Zurich Diamond League final preview 0
- Jonathan Horton boosted by 2008 teammate to successful return 0
- Sam Mikulak rallies for repeat P&G Championships title (video) 0
- Usain Bolt ends his season 2
- Katie Ledecky smashes another world record at Pan Pacs 4
- Simone Biles awes judges, U.S. legend to repeat at P&G Championships 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)