Jul 30, 2013, 7:28 AM EDT
The medals for August’s track and field world championships were released Tuesday. The Moscow organizers deserve style points for originality.
R-Sport described them as having a hollowed-out whirlwind design.
“There is everything I like about these medals,” IAAF vice president Seb Coe said, according to R-Sport. “It’s traditional in shape and it feels right in the athlete’s hand. I think it is a perfect medal.”
The world championships run Aug. 10-18.
- Ted Ligety wins giant slalom season title in dramatic fashion 0
- Mikaela Shiffrin completes dominating World Cup slalom season 0
- U.S., Russia set for rematch in Paralympic sledge hockey final 0
- Nicklas Backstrom will receive Olympic silver medal 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ prosthetic legs, shorts covered in blood in trial photos 0
- U.S. wins its first Sochi Paralympic gold, sweeps snowboarding event 0
- T.J. Oshie reportedly invited to White House Correspondents’ Dinner 2