Ian Thorpe says he will not try to swim at 2016 Rio Olympics

Jul 27, 2013, 9:49 AM EDT

Ian Thorpe Getty Images

Ian Thorpe‘s Olympic career is over.

The nine-time Olympic medalist over 2000 and 2004 told the Telegraph in Australia he will continue swimming but won’t go after a third Games three years from now due to a shoulder injury.

“I don’t want to be the old man who can’t do things — to push out something that may not be realistic any more,” Thorpe said. “Although I am going to continue swimming, realistically I don’t think I will be able to get back to a position where I am at the top of the sport.”

Thorpe, 30, will still train “purely for the love of swimming,” according to the Telegraph.

“I kept on not being able to get through (training sessions), and then I decided I am just going to push through it, basically I have moved the positioning of my scapula that’s caused a tremendous amount of tension on the front of my shoulder,” Thorpe told the newspaper. “When I did it, I was advised, you have two options, one is surgery and the second is you have to rest. I have had surgery once before. It was just after I stopped swimming the first time, it took me around two years to recover and I have decided I am not having surgery again.”

Thorpe won three gold medals and two silvers at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney and became the world’s greatest all-around swimmer before Michael Phelps matured between the Sydney and Athens Games.

In Athens, Thorpe won two golds, one silver and one bronze. He’s matched with fellow swimmer Leisel Jones as the most decorated Australian Olympian of all time.

Thorpe retired between the Athens and Beijing Olympics but announced a comeback in 2011 with an eye on the 2012 Olympics. Thorpe failed to make the Australian Olympic team for London but continued on.

“I am grateful I was able to return to my sport,” he told the Telegraph. “If not I would have spent my life wondering and probably not liking my sport so much. But in return I have been able to discover the beauty of what I do, but also how I feel when I swim. When I get it right, it’s like nothing on the planet.”

Swimming world championships broadcast schedule

Latest Posts
  1. Rio Olympic ticket prices start at about $20 in Brazil

Sep 16, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT

Rio 2016

More than 7.5 million tickets will be available for the Games.

2. Kohei Uchimura’s mother competes in gymnastics meet

Sep 16, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT

Kohei Uchimura Getty Images

Shuko Uchimura hadn’t competed in some 30 years, according to Japanese report.

3. Boston’s potential advantage in 2024 Olympic bid race

Sep 16, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT

Boston Getty Images

“The city is the Olympic park,” official tells Boston Globe.

4. Paralympic president clarifies Pistorius stance, looks to Rio

Sep 15, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT

Oscar Pistorius, Alan Oliveira Getty Images

IPC president Sir Philip Craven looks ahead to an anniversary and a new frontier for the Paralympics.

5. Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps hope to meet for first time before Olympic farewell

Sep 15, 2014, 2:36 PM EDT

Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps Getty Images

The greatest Olympians of this generation discuss thoughts on one another.

6. U.S. men’s volleyball team eliminated at World Championships

Sep 15, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT

USA Volleyball Getty Images

U.S. bounced in Poland with five-set loss to Argentina.

7. What U.S.’ FIBA World Cup title means for Olympics

Sep 15, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT

Kyrie Irving AP

The second-biggest winner from the FIBA World Cup may be a nation that didn’t compete in Spain.

8. Carolina Kostner called to hearing in ex-boyfriend’s doping case

Sep 15, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT

Carolina Kostner Getty Images

Olympic bronze medalist figure skater dated Olympic race-walking champion when he tested positive.

9. Oscar Pistorius’ Nike contract terminated

Sep 13, 2014, 8:52 PM EDT

Oscar Pistorius

Nike had suspended its contract with the runner six days after he shot and killed his girlfriend.

10. Jenny Simpson has long-standing record in sight after spectacular season

Sep 12, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT

Jenny Simpson Getty Images

Simpson, racing the Fifth Avenue Mile on Saturday, is one tenth away from breaking a 31-year-old mark.

11. Things Mutaz Barshim could jump over (photos)

Sep 12, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT

Mutaz Barshim

High jumper hashtag has taken social media by storm.

12. Reeva Steenkamp’s mom says justice was not served in Oscar Pistorius trial (video)

Sep 12, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT

Barry Steenkamp, June Steenkamp Getty Images

Steenkamp’s parents want to meet with Pistorius, they told NBC News.

13. Oscar Pistorius would be allowed in Paralympics after serving sentence

Sep 12, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

“We would not stand in his way,” IPC spokesman said.

14. Oscar Pistorius guilty of culpable homicide (verdict video)

Sep 12, 2014, 7:48 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius AP

Runner faces up to 15 years in prison, plus sentence for gun charge.

15. World Gymnastics Championships nominative lists announced

Sep 11, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT

Simone Biles Getty Images

U.S. women’s team won’t officially be named until next week.

16. Mikaela Shiffrin eyes breakthrough with World Cup season approaching

Sep 11, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT

Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

Olympic slalom champion hopes for multiple World Cup giant slalom wins this season.

17. Oscar Pistorius trial judge rules out murder, verdict incomplete

Sep 11, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Runner could still face up to 15 years in prison for culpable homicide.