Ian Thorpe says he will not try to swim at 2016 Rio Olympics

Jul 27, 2013, 9:49 AM EDT

Ian Thorpe Getty Images

Ian Thorpe‘s Olympic career is over.

The nine-time Olympic medalist over 2000 and 2004 told the Telegraph in Australia he will continue swimming but won’t go after a third Games three years from now due to a shoulder injury.

“I don’t want to be the old man who can’t do things — to push out something that may not be realistic any more,” Thorpe said. “Although I am going to continue swimming, realistically I don’t think I will be able to get back to a position where I am at the top of the sport.”

Thorpe, 30, will still train “purely for the love of swimming,” according to the Telegraph.

“I kept on not being able to get through (training sessions), and then I decided I am just going to push through it, basically I have moved the positioning of my scapula that’s caused a tremendous amount of tension on the front of my shoulder,” Thorpe told the newspaper. “When I did it, I was advised, you have two options, one is surgery and the second is you have to rest. I have had surgery once before. It was just after I stopped swimming the first time, it took me around two years to recover and I have decided I am not having surgery again.”

Thorpe won three gold medals and two silvers at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney and became the world’s greatest all-around swimmer before Michael Phelps matured between the Sydney and Athens Games.

In Athens, Thorpe won two golds, one silver and one bronze. He’s matched with fellow swimmer Leisel Jones as the most decorated Australian Olympian of all time.

Thorpe retired between the Athens and Beijing Olympics but announced a comeback in 2011 with an eye on the 2012 Olympics. Thorpe failed to make the Australian Olympic team for London but continued on.

“I am grateful I was able to return to my sport,” he told the Telegraph. “If not I would have spent my life wondering and probably not liking my sport so much. But in return I have been able to discover the beauty of what I do, but also how I feel when I swim. When I get it right, it’s like nothing on the planet.”

Swimming world championships broadcast schedule

Latest Posts
  1. Michael Phelps beaten by Ryan Lochte in first final of comeback

Apr 24, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

Phelps was swimming competitively for the first time since the London Olympics.

2. Lolo Jones sheds weight, returns to track at Drake Relays

Apr 24, 2014, 5:57 PM EDT

Lolo Jones AP

Jones explains difficulty of returning to track workouts.

3. Michael Phelps wins his first preliminary race since London Olympics

Apr 24, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

Phelps is swimming competitively for the first time since the London Olympics.

4. Erin Hamlin, bronze medal hanging with the stars since Sochi Olympics

Apr 24, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT

Erin Hamlin Getty Images

Olympic bronze medalist explains what President Obama told her about luge.

5. Elizabeth Price retires from U.S. National Gymnastics Team

Apr 24, 2014, 12:42 PM EDT

Elizabeth Price AP

2012 Olympic alternate announces college plans.

6. Meb Keflezighi throws first pitch at Red Sox game (photos, video)

Apr 24, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT

Meb Keflezighi

Boston Marathon winner met Derek Jeter, David Ortiz.

7. Ryan Lochte inspired by Michael Phelps’ return (video)

Apr 23, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT

Ryan Lochte, Michael Phelps Getty Images

Lochte said he almost didn’t come back to swimming after knee injury.

8. Michael Phelps ready to start ‘journey’ in comeback meet

Apr 23, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps says he gained 30 pounds in retirement but has shed most of it in training.

9. Michael Phelps no longer sponsored by Speedo

Apr 23, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps’ contract with Speedo ran out at the end of 2013 after a 12-year run.

10. Another Michael set to make splash at Mesa Grand Prix

Apr 23, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT

Michael Phelps, Michael Andrew Courtesy Tina Andrew

Michael Andrew, 15, turned pro last year and has been drawing comparisons to Michael Phelps.

11. Michael Phelps’ comeback at Mesa Grand Prix competition, broadcast schedules

Apr 23, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

When to watch Michael Phelps’ return to competition.

12. Meb Keflezighi congratulated by President Obama

Apr 22, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

Meb Keflezighi AP

How Keflezighi spent the morning after his upset victory.

13. Ryan Hall, other U.S. runners wouldn’t help East Africans catch Meb Keflezighi

Apr 22, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT

Ryan Hall, Meb Keflezighi AP

Americans’ tactic played small role in Keflezighi’s victory.

14. Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski added to NBC’s Kentucky Derby coverage

Apr 22, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT

Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski Getty Images

Sochi figure skating analysts will be fashion experts at Churchill Downs.

15. Apolo Ohno plans to do Ironman World Championships

Apr 22, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT

Apolo Anton Ohno AP

Ohno follows NFL wide receiver, celebrity chef in ambitious attempt.

16. Lance Armstrong’s longtime team manager banned 10 years

Apr 22, 2014, 8:21 AM EDT

Johan Bruyneel AP

Johan Bruyneel guided Lance Armstrong’s teams for all seven stripped Tour de France wins.

17. Emotions flow for runners, spectators at Boston Marathon

Apr 21, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT

Boston Strong AP

“I needed it for healing,” one survivor said.

18. Meb Keflezighi stuns to win Boston Marathon (video)

Apr 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

Meb Keflezighi AP

First U.S. man to win Boston Marathon since 1983.

19. 2014 Boston Marathon highlights: American Meb Keflezighi, Kenya’s Rita Jeptoo win (VIDEO)

Apr 21, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT

2014 B.A.A. Boston Marathon Getty Images

Meb Keflezighi made history on an emotional day at the 2014 Boston Marathon by becoming the first American man to win the race since 1983. Watch highlights of the 38-year-old Keflezighi’s victory here, courtesy of Universal Sports: Keflezighi reacts to his historic win and the emotion of winning one year after the Boston Marathon bombing,…

20. Rita Jeptoo repeats as Boston Marathon winner in course record

Apr 21, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT

Rita Jeptoo Getty Images

Shalane Flanagan led early but was dropped around 21 miles.

Inside Michael Phelps' comeback