Ian Thorpe says he will not try to swim at 2016 Rio Olympics

Jul 27, 2013, 9:49 AM EDT

Ian Thorpe Getty Images

Ian Thorpe‘s Olympic career is over.

The nine-time Olympic medalist over 2000 and 2004 told the Telegraph in Australia he will continue swimming but won’t go after a third Games three years from now due to a shoulder injury.

“I don’t want to be the old man who can’t do things — to push out something that may not be realistic any more,” Thorpe said. “Although I am going to continue swimming, realistically I don’t think I will be able to get back to a position where I am at the top of the sport.”

Thorpe, 30, will still train “purely for the love of swimming,” according to the Telegraph.

“I kept on not being able to get through (training sessions), and then I decided I am just going to push through it, basically I have moved the positioning of my scapula that’s caused a tremendous amount of tension on the front of my shoulder,” Thorpe told the newspaper. “When I did it, I was advised, you have two options, one is surgery and the second is you have to rest. I have had surgery once before. It was just after I stopped swimming the first time, it took me around two years to recover and I have decided I am not having surgery again.”

Thorpe won three gold medals and two silvers at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney and became the world’s greatest all-around swimmer before Michael Phelps matured between the Sydney and Athens Games.

In Athens, Thorpe won two golds, one silver and one bronze. He’s matched with fellow swimmer Leisel Jones as the most decorated Australian Olympian of all time.

Thorpe retired between the Athens and Beijing Olympics but announced a comeback in 2011 with an eye on the 2012 Olympics. Thorpe failed to make the Australian Olympic team for London but continued on.

“I am grateful I was able to return to my sport,” he told the Telegraph. “If not I would have spent my life wondering and probably not liking my sport so much. But in return I have been able to discover the beauty of what I do, but also how I feel when I swim. When I get it right, it’s like nothing on the planet.”

Swimming world championships broadcast schedule

Latest Posts
  1. Watch NBC Olympics one year from Rio 2016 promo video

Aug 3, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT

Rio 2016

The Olympics open on Aug. 5, 2016.

2. Triathletes’ reactions to Rio Olympic water venue after test event

Aug 3, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT

AP AP

“We swim in waters all around the world, and this was no different from anywhere else,” Gwen Jorgensen said.

3. Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback

Aug 3, 2015, 2:51 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

May-Treanor retired after the London Olympics and had a baby.

4. David Boudia earns another World Diving Championships silver

Aug 3, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

AP AP

Boudia trounced one Chinese star but was beaten by a longtime rival.

5. Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships

Aug 2, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT

Katie Ledecky Getty Images

Also, a U.S. Olympic champion’s world record was broken in a semifinal.

6. Ronda Rousey knocks out Bethe Correia in 34 seconds

Aug 2, 2015, 1:28 AM EDT

AP AP

Rousey is a 2008 Olympic judo bronze medalist.

7. World Swimming Championships men’s preview

Jul 31, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT

Ryan Lochte Getty Images

Action gets started Sunday in Kazan.

8. USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues

Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT

AP AP

A US Sailing official maintained his stance on the Rio water from last year.

9. Which Miracle on Ice item is the toughest for Jim Craig to sell? (video)

Jul 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT

Jim Craig AP

Watch the goalie’s interview on The Dan Patrick Show.

10. British Athletics clears Mo Farah after investigation

Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

AP AP

Farah was to have “blood data, supplements data, everything surrounding his medical treatment” investigated.

11. World Swimming Championships broadcast schedule

Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT

Missy Franklin, Katie Ledecky Getty Images

NBC, NBC Sports Live Extra and Universal Sports will combine for daily coverage.

12. Almaty or Beijing? IOC set to choose 2022 Winter Olympic host

Jul 30, 2015, 8:08 AM EDT

Sochi Olympics Biathlon AP

Either way, the vote will mark an Olympic first.

13. Allyson Felix to run 400m at World Championships

Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT

AP AP

Felix will be absent from the 200m at Worlds for the first time since 2001.