Usain Bolt: ‘I know I’m clean’

Jul 25, 2013, 9:26 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

Usain Bolt must have known he’d face questions about the latest track and field doping scandal going into his first competition since Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell admitted to testing positive for banned substances.

Sure enough, he was asked if the public could trust him in a news conference Thursday, one day before he runs at a Diamond League meet at London’s Olympic Stadium.

Bolt “rolled his eyes,” according to Reuters, and explained how he’s been setting records since he was a teenager.

“I was hoping that question would come later in the day,” he said. “How long have you been following me — since 2008 maybe? If you’ve been following me since 2002, you would know I’ve been doing phenomenal things since I was 15. I was the youngest person to win the world juniors. I ran the world youth record at 17. I’ve broken every record there is in every event I’ve ever done. For me, I’ve proven myself since I was 15. I’m just living out my dream now. I was made to inspire people and made to run. I was given a gift and that’s what I do. I know I’m clean, so I’m just going to continue running and using my talent and that’s what I’m going to do.”

Bolt’s case for being clean is that he’s been posting elite times for more than a decade. Unlike some athletes who have doped and gone on to dramatically lower personal bests or leapfrogged their peers all of a sudden, Bolt’s always been more or less a constant.

“Hopefully we can move past this,” Bolt said of the recent doping news, according to Agence France-Presse. “It’s definitely going to set us back a bit as a sport.

“I just have to focus on the World Championships, run fast, and hopefully make people forget about this.”

Bolt will run the 100 meters in London at 4:48 p.m. Eastern Time on Friday, one day before the one-year anniversary of the opening ceremony of the London Olympic Games. Bolt won triple gold in London, just as he did in Beijing in 2008. This is his first meet in London since the Olympics.

His track club, Racers, is also entered in the 4×100 relay Saturday. So look for Bolt to possibly anchor that quartet as well.

On Thursday, Bolt said the only substances he’s ever taken are legal vitamins, that he was surprised about the recent drug-test news in track but wouldn’t comment, according to the Telegraph.

“Every athlete takes vitamins,” Bolt said, adding he was drug tested on Tuesday. “But I don’t really take supplements.

“I’m clean. You have to be careful as an athlete, but I’m not worried because I have a great team around me. As a person I make sure I’m careful as well. You have to trust the people around you because they check everything you’re taking to make sure it’s not on the banned list. They read the fine print.”

Bolt did say he texted Powell, his fellow Jamaican whom he took the 100-meter world record from in 2008.

“I’m not going to stress about it (doping),” Bolt said. “I know I am clean and I just want to improve the sport and that is what I am going to do.”

Usain Bolt’s autobiography title contradicts previous Bolt book title

Latest Posts
  1. Jamaican sprinters Asafa Powell and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce dominate at Paris Diamond League

Jul 4, 2015, 6:57 PM EDT

ATHLETICS-DIAMOND-FRA ATHLETICS-DIAMOND-FRA

The two claimed victory in the men’s and women’s 100 meters, while American Evan Jager came heartbreakingly close to making history in the steeplechase.

2. 2012 Olympic 4x100m relay medals officially reallocated after U.S. team stripped of silver

Jul 4, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT

Olympics Day 15 - Athletics Getty Images

Trinidad and Tobago have been upgraded to silver and France to bronze.

3. Bicycle fall takes swimmer Kosuke Hagino out of Worlds

Jul 4, 2015, 9:11 AM EDT

Kosuke Hagino Kosuke Hagino

The Japanese swimmer confirmed that his right elbow is fractured.

4. Nick Lucena and Theo Brunner final American team in Beach Volleyball World Championships

Jul 3, 2015, 5:13 PM EDT

AVP Championships at Huntington Beach AVP Championships at Huntington Beach

Three of the four remaining American teams were knocked out in the quarterfinal rounds. Lucena and Brunner will face the Brazilians in semifinals on Saturday.

5. Jordan Burroughs on Rio: ‘My chances of winning’ are better than in London

Jul 3, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT

US' Jordan Ernest Burroughs celebrates a US' Jordan Ernest Burroughs celebrates a

In an interview before the July 4th stop of the Road to Rio tour before Philadelphia, the Olympic wrestler explained how his age has become an advantage.

6. Rio 2016 Olympic torch unveiled

Jul 3, 2015, 12:26 PM EDT

Screen shot 2015-07-03 at 11.35.56 AM

The torch will begin in the capital city of Brasilia, passing through a planned 500 cities before reaching Maracana Stadium in Rio for the Opening Ceremony.

7. Allyson Felix considering 200-400m double at Worlds

Jul 3, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT

150704_AllysonFelix Getty Images

Won’t face Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, who will forgo 200 meters to focus on 100.

8. Japanese swim star Kosuke Hagino potentially out of World Championships

Jul 2, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT

Comments Off on Japanese swim star Kosuke Hagino potentially out of World Championships
    Japan's Kosuke Hagino competes in the me Japan's Kosuke Hagino competes in the me

A suspected elbow fracture may force Hagino to pull out.

9. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross historically dominant at World Championships

Jul 1, 2015, 10:07 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Walsh Jennings had never been part of such a rout with Misty May-Treanor.

10. USOC eyes majority support for Boston 2024 ‘relatively soon’

Jun 30, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT

Boston 2024

“We’re not discussing right now the possibility of not submitting a bid.”

11. Usain Bolt pulls out of July track meets

Jun 30, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT

AP AP

Bolt flew to Munich to treat an injury.

12. Brazil’s president offers Barack Obama ‘standing invitation’ to Rio Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT

AP AP

Obama has never attended an Olympics as president, and this is his last chance.

13. Simon Shnapir retires from figure skating

Jun 30, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Shnapir won Olympic bronze in Sochi.

14. Missy Franklin named top NCAA female athlete

Jun 30, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Franklin beat out another Rio 2016 Olympic hopeful for the honor.

15. Cristiano Ronaldo ‘a possibility’ for Rio 2016 Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT

Cristiano Ronaldo Getty Images

Ronaldo debuted at the Olympics two years before his first World Cup.

16. Angela Ruggiero to become fourth women’s player in Hockey Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

AP AP

The 2015 Hall of Fame class also includes four men’s Olympic medalists.

17. Michael Phelps’ career in photos on his 30th birthday

Jun 30, 2015, 8:10 AM EDT

Michael Phelps

Most decorated Olympian of all time turned 30 on Tuesday.

18. Michael Phelps’ potential record chases at Rio Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 7:50 AM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

Phelps still trails a legendary gymnast, U.S. track and field champions and one of his 2004 Olympic swimming teammates.