Usain Bolt: ‘I know I’m clean’

Jul 25, 2013, 9:26 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

Usain Bolt must have known he’d face questions about the latest track and field doping scandal going into his first competition since Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell admitted to testing positive for banned substances.

Sure enough, he was asked if the public could trust him in a news conference Thursday, one day before he runs at a Diamond League meet at London’s Olympic Stadium.

Bolt “rolled his eyes,” according to Reuters, and explained how he’s been setting records since he was a teenager.

“I was hoping that question would come later in the day,” he said. “How long have you been following me — since 2008 maybe? If you’ve been following me since 2002, you would know I’ve been doing phenomenal things since I was 15. I was the youngest person to win the world juniors. I ran the world youth record at 17. I’ve broken every record there is in every event I’ve ever done. For me, I’ve proven myself since I was 15. I’m just living out my dream now. I was made to inspire people and made to run. I was given a gift and that’s what I do. I know I’m clean, so I’m just going to continue running and using my talent and that’s what I’m going to do.”

Bolt’s case for being clean is that he’s been posting elite times for more than a decade. Unlike some athletes who have doped and gone on to dramatically lower personal bests or leapfrogged their peers all of a sudden, Bolt’s always been more or less a constant.

“Hopefully we can move past this,” Bolt said of the recent doping news, according to Agence France-Presse. “It’s definitely going to set us back a bit as a sport.

“I just have to focus on the World Championships, run fast, and hopefully make people forget about this.”

Bolt will run the 100 meters in London at 4:48 p.m. Eastern Time on Friday, one day before the one-year anniversary of the opening ceremony of the London Olympic Games. Bolt won triple gold in London, just as he did in Beijing in 2008. This is his first meet in London since the Olympics.

His track club, Racers, is also entered in the 4×100 relay Saturday. So look for Bolt to possibly anchor that quartet as well.

On Thursday, Bolt said the only substances he’s ever taken are legal vitamins, that he was surprised about the recent drug-test news in track but wouldn’t comment, according to the Telegraph.

“Every athlete takes vitamins,” Bolt said, adding he was drug tested on Tuesday. “But I don’t really take supplements.

“I’m clean. You have to be careful as an athlete, but I’m not worried because I have a great team around me. As a person I make sure I’m careful as well. You have to trust the people around you because they check everything you’re taking to make sure it’s not on the banned list. They read the fine print.”

Bolt did say he texted Powell, his fellow Jamaican whom he took the 100-meter world record from in 2008.

“I’m not going to stress about it (doping),” Bolt said. “I know I am clean and I just want to improve the sport and that is what I am going to do.”

Usain Bolt’s autobiography title contradicts previous Bolt book title

Latest Posts
  1. Greg Louganis recalls Olympic diving, HIV, coming out in ‘Back on Board’ film

Aug 4, 2015, 4:23 PM EDT

Greg Louganis HBO

The film includes footage from Olympics from 1976 through 2012.

2. Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte miss medals; Katie Ledecky breaks record at Worlds

Aug 4, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT

AP AP

Franklin got a horrible start in the 100m backstroke.

3. Watch NBC News report from Rio Olympic water venues

Aug 4, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT

Copacabana Beach

U.S. sailors comment while training at Guanabara Bay.

4. Watch NBC Olympics one year from Rio 2016 promo video

Aug 3, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT

Rio 2016

The Olympics open on Aug. 5, 2016.

5. Triathletes’ reactions to Rio Olympic water venue after test event

Aug 3, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT

AP AP

“We swim in waters all around the world, and this was no different from anywhere else,” Gwen Jorgensen said.

6. Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback

Aug 3, 2015, 2:51 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

May-Treanor retired after the London Olympics and had a baby.

7. David Boudia earns another World Diving Championships silver

Aug 3, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

AP AP

Boudia trounced one Chinese star but was beaten by a longtime rival.

8. Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships

Aug 2, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT

Katie Ledecky Getty Images

Also, a U.S. Olympic champion’s world record was broken in a semifinal.

9. Ronda Rousey knocks out Bethe Correia in 34 seconds

Aug 2, 2015, 1:28 AM EDT

AP AP

Rousey is a 2008 Olympic judo bronze medalist.

10. World Swimming Championships men’s preview

Jul 31, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT

Ryan Lochte Getty Images

Action gets started Sunday in Kazan.

11. USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues

Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT

AP AP

A US Sailing official maintained his stance on the Rio water from last year.

12. Which Miracle on Ice item is the toughest for Jim Craig to sell? (video)

Jul 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT

Jim Craig AP

Watch the goalie’s interview on The Dan Patrick Show.

13. British Athletics clears Mo Farah after investigation

Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

AP AP

Farah was to have “blood data, supplements data, everything surrounding his medical treatment” investigated.

14. World Swimming Championships broadcast schedule

Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT

Missy Franklin, Katie Ledecky Getty Images

NBC, NBC Sports Live Extra and Universal Sports will combine for daily coverage.