Usain Bolt: ‘I know I’m clean’

Jul 25, 2013, 9:26 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

Usain Bolt must have known he’d face questions about the latest track and field doping scandal going into his first competition since Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell admitted to testing positive for banned substances.

Sure enough, he was asked if the public could trust him in a news conference Thursday, one day before he runs at a Diamond League meet at London’s Olympic Stadium.

Bolt “rolled his eyes,” according to Reuters, and explained how he’s been setting records since he was a teenager.

“I was hoping that question would come later in the day,” he said. “How long have you been following me — since 2008 maybe? If you’ve been following me since 2002, you would know I’ve been doing phenomenal things since I was 15. I was the youngest person to win the world juniors. I ran the world youth record at 17. I’ve broken every record there is in every event I’ve ever done. For me, I’ve proven myself since I was 15. I’m just living out my dream now. I was made to inspire people and made to run. I was given a gift and that’s what I do. I know I’m clean, so I’m just going to continue running and using my talent and that’s what I’m going to do.”

Bolt’s case for being clean is that he’s been posting elite times for more than a decade. Unlike some athletes who have doped and gone on to dramatically lower personal bests or leapfrogged their peers all of a sudden, Bolt’s always been more or less a constant.

“Hopefully we can move past this,” Bolt said of the recent doping news, according to Agence France-Presse. “It’s definitely going to set us back a bit as a sport.

“I just have to focus on the World Championships, run fast, and hopefully make people forget about this.”

Bolt will run the 100 meters in London at 4:48 p.m. Eastern Time on Friday, one day before the one-year anniversary of the opening ceremony of the London Olympic Games. Bolt won triple gold in London, just as he did in Beijing in 2008. This is his first meet in London since the Olympics.

His track club, Racers, is also entered in the 4×100 relay Saturday. So look for Bolt to possibly anchor that quartet as well.

On Thursday, Bolt said the only substances he’s ever taken are legal vitamins, that he was surprised about the recent drug-test news in track but wouldn’t comment, according to the Telegraph.

“Every athlete takes vitamins,” Bolt said, adding he was drug tested on Tuesday. “But I don’t really take supplements.

“I’m clean. You have to be careful as an athlete, but I’m not worried because I have a great team around me. As a person I make sure I’m careful as well. You have to trust the people around you because they check everything you’re taking to make sure it’s not on the banned list. They read the fine print.”

Bolt did say he texted Powell, his fellow Jamaican whom he took the 100-meter world record from in 2008.

“I’m not going to stress about it (doping),” Bolt said. “I know I am clean and I just want to improve the sport and that is what I am going to do.”

Usain Bolt’s autobiography title contradicts previous Bolt book title

Latest Posts
  1. Boston’s potential advantage in 2024 Olympic bid race

Sep 16, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT

Boston Getty Images

“The city is the Olympic park,” official tells Boston Globe.

2. Paralympic president clarifies Pistorius stance, looks to Rio

Sep 15, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT

Oscar Pistorius, Alan Oliveira Getty Images

IPC president Sir Philip Craven looks ahead to an anniversary and a new frontier for the Paralympics.

3. Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps hope to meet for first time before Olympic farewell

Sep 15, 2014, 2:36 PM EDT

Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps Getty Images

The greatest Olympians of this generation discuss thoughts on one another.

4. U.S. men’s volleyball team eliminated at World Championships

Sep 15, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT

USA Volleyball Getty Images

U.S. bounced in Poland with five-set loss to Argentina.

5. What U.S.’ FIBA World Cup title means for Olympics

Sep 15, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT

Kyrie Irving AP

The second-biggest winner from the FIBA World Cup may be a nation that didn’t compete in Spain.

6. Carolina Kostner called to hearing in ex-boyfriend’s doping case

Sep 15, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT

Carolina Kostner Getty Images

Olympic bronze medalist figure skater dated Olympic race-walking champion when he tested positive.

7. Oscar Pistorius’ Nike contract terminated

Sep 13, 2014, 8:52 PM EDT

Oscar Pistorius

Nike had suspended its contract with the runner six days after he shot and killed his girlfriend.

8. Jenny Simpson has long-standing record in sight after spectacular season

Sep 12, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT

Jenny Simpson Getty Images

Simpson, racing the Fifth Avenue Mile on Saturday, is one tenth away from breaking a 31-year-old mark.

9. Things Mutaz Barshim could jump over (photos)

Sep 12, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT

Mutaz Barshim

High jumper hashtag has taken social media by storm.

10. Reeva Steenkamp’s mom says justice was not served in Oscar Pistorius trial (video)

Sep 12, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT

Barry Steenkamp, June Steenkamp Getty Images

Steenkamp’s parents want to meet with Pistorius, they told NBC News.

11. Oscar Pistorius would be allowed in Paralympics after serving sentence

Sep 12, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

“We would not stand in his way,” IPC spokesman said.

12. Oscar Pistorius guilty of culpable homicide (verdict video)

Sep 12, 2014, 7:48 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius AP

Runner faces up to 15 years in prison, plus sentence for gun charge.

13. World Gymnastics Championships nominative lists announced

Sep 11, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT

Simone Biles Getty Images

U.S. women’s team won’t officially be named until next week.

14. Mikaela Shiffrin eyes breakthrough with World Cup season approaching

Sep 11, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT

Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

Olympic slalom champion hopes for multiple World Cup giant slalom wins this season.

15. Oscar Pistorius trial judge rules out murder, verdict incomplete

Sep 11, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Runner could still face up to 15 years in prison for culpable homicide.

16. Amanda Kessel to miss 2014-15 season due to pre-Olympic concussion

Sep 10, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT

Amanda Kessel Getty Images

Kessel visited brain center run by same doctor who treated Sidney Crosby.

17. Tokyo 1964 Olympic cauldron lighter passes away

Sep 10, 2014, 10:20 AM EDT

Yoshinori Kasai Getty Images

Yoshinori Sakai was born on the day an atomic bomb hit Hiroshima.

18. Bob Suter of Miracle on Ice team passes away

Sep 9, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT

Bob Suter Getty Images

Suter, 57, was the father and brother of U.S. Olympians, too.