Jul 23, 2013, 1:11 PM EST
USA Gymnastics announced all five members of the 2012 U.S. men’s Olympic team are expected to compete at nationals in August, but one Olympic medal winner won’t decide for sure until closer to the event.
Two-time Olympian Jonathan Horton, who had shoulder surgery around the turn of the new year according to USA Today, is not a definite for the Aug. 15-18 meet.
Horton has said that he’s going to Hartford, Conn., with the intention of competing for the first time since the Olympics. His agent confirmed the plan remained the same Tuesday.
“I’m telling everyone that it is a last second decision, which it is,” Horton said in an email forwarded by his agent last week. “I’m going with the intention of competing and understanding that I’m still not in the shape I need to be in, and I may decide to drop the meet if training in Hartford is rough.”
Horton, 27, was the only holdover from the 2008 Olympic bronze-medal winning team to make the 2012 Olympic team, which finished fifth. Horton also won high bar silver in 2008.
Olympic teammates Danell Leyva, John Orozco, Jake Dalton and Sam Mikulak are also registered to compete in Hartford.
Orozco is working to compete in all six events to defend his all-around title. He only did four in a qualifier in Colorado earlier this month, his first competition since the Olympics and major knee surgery in the fall.
- Lindsey Vonn wins cow in Val d’Isere, one victory from record 0
- Michael Phelps gets probation after guilty plea in DUI case 6
- Stephen Colbert and the Olympics 0
- U.S. will bid for 2024 Olympics, no city chosen yet 6
- Adrian Peterson won’t try for Olympics, but other RBs might 2
- Rio Olympic track and field schedule released 1
- Rome to bid for 2024 Olympics, possible events in Vatican City 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)