Jul 23, 2013, 4:32 PM EDT
2010 Olympic figure skating champion Evan Lysacek‘s long-awaited return is less than two months away.
U.S. Figure Skating announced Lysacek as one of the entries for the U.S. International Figure Skating Classic in Salt Lake City from Sept. 11-15.
Other U.S. skaters in the event include 2010 Olympic silver medalists and world champions in ice dancing Meryl Davis and Charlie White, reigning U.S. men’s champion Max Aaron and nationals runner-up Gracie Gold.
Lysacek, 28, appeared close to returning each of the last three seasons. He did not skate in 2011-12 due to disagreements with U.S. Figure Skating.
He was set to compete at Skate America in 2012, only to withdraw with a groin injury. He had sports hernia surgery in November, which caused him to miss the U.S. Championships in January.
In June, it was announced Lysacek would compete at Skate America in Detroit in October, which, up until Tuesday, appeared that it would be his first competition since Vancouver.
In 2010, Lysacek became the first U.S. man to win Olympic figure skating gold since Brian Boitano in 1988.
He’s aiming to become the first U.S. figure skater since Todd Eldredge (1992, 1998, 2002) to compete in three Olympics. The two-man U.S. team will be chosen after the national championships in Boston in January.
Should Lysacek make it to Sochi, his primary competition will be Canadian three-time reigning world champion Patrick Chan, who took silver to Lysacek’s gold at the 2009 worlds.
There’s also Russian Evgeni Plushenko, 30, trying to make his fourth Olympic team. Plushenko took silver to Lysacek at the 2010 Olympics.
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m 3
- Allyson Felix wins 400m, breaks U.S. record for Worlds medals; Rio preview? 1
- Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin’s first race together from 2005 (video) 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid logo, renderings released 0
- Usain Bolt, Justin Gatlin set up duel; South African stretchered off after 400m gold 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)