Sidney Crosby’s sister wants to play in the Olympics

Jul 18, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT

Taylor Crosby AP

There may be two Crosbys playing hockey for Canada at an Olympic Winter Games one day.

Sidney Crosby, the golden goal scorer at the Vancouver Olympics, figures to be a Hockey Canada cornerstone for years to come.

His sister, Taylor, 17, hopes to follow in his path. The promising goaltender is attending the IIHF High Performance Camp in Sheffield, England.

She’s going into her senior year at the elite Shattuck-St. Mary’s prep school in Minnesota. Her older brother led it to a national title in 2003.

“Obviously the ultimate goal would be playing in the Olympics, but also I would like to play in (NCAA) Division I hockey and go to school and graduate,” she told IIHF.com in a Q&A titled “The other Crosby.” “I won’t be able to play hockey forever, but I’d like to go as far as I can.”

How good is Taylor? She was among 15 female goaltender prospects invited to a Hockey Canada camp last month. Eight of them were under 18 like her.

“Pretty good size in the net and she uses that size well,” Hockey Canada scout Melody Davidson told The Associated Press in June. “How she’s going to mature and grow as a goalie is what we’re checking in on, and we’ll see how it goes from there.”

Don’t be surprised that Taylor went the goalie route. Her father, Troy, was a netminder drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in 1984.

Taylor’s next goal is to make the Canadian team for the U18 world championships in September and October. She’s surely too young for Sochi, but 2018 is a possibility.

The ages for the three Canadian women’s goalies at the 2010 Olympics were 23, 27 and 31.

“I think from when I first started to play I told myself I wanted to make it to the Olympics,” she said. “But that really was just a goal, aiming high right off the bat. But when I got to see the Canadian women’s team play in Vancouver that was the spark that made me feel like this was something that I really want to work towards. Just the emotion of the games and how happy the team and the fans were … that’s something that drives me even today.”

h/t @OllieW

Lolo Jones asked about night club incident at ESPYs

Latest Posts
  1. World Swimming Championships men’s preview

Jul 31, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT

Ryan Lochte Getty Images

Action gets started Sunday in Kazan.

2. USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues

Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT

AP AP

A US Sailing official maintained his stance on the Rio water from last year.

3. Which Miracle on Ice item is the toughest for Jim Craig to sell? (video)

Jul 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT

Jim Craig AP

Watch the goalie’s interview on The Dan Patrick Show.

4. British Athletics clears Mo Farah after investigation

Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

AP AP

Farah was to have “blood data, supplements data, everything surrounding his medical treatment” investigated.

5. World Swimming Championships broadcast schedule

Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

NBC, NBC Sports Live Extra and Universal Sports will combine for daily coverage.

6. Almaty or Beijing? IOC set to choose 2022 Winter Olympic host

Jul 30, 2015, 8:08 AM EDT

Sochi Olympics Biathlon AP

Either way, the vote will mark an Olympic first.

7. Allyson Felix to run 400m at World Championships

Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT

AP AP

Felix will be absent from the 200m at Worlds for the first time since 2001.

8. Simone Biles turns pro

Jul 29, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT

AP AP

Biles won’t be eligible to compete collegiately.

9. Abby Wambach ‘planning on playing’ in Rio, ‘still need time to decide’

Jul 29, 2015, 1:53 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

It would be tougher for Wambach to make the Rio Olympic team than the 2015 World Cup team.

10. Markus Rehm, German amputee long jumper, left off World Championships team

Jul 29, 2015, 12:19 PM EDT

AP AP

Rehm has the best long jump by a German this year, but he may have a competitive advantage.

11. Inbee Park criticizes Olympic golf qualifying procedures

Jul 29, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

“If you are in the world’s top 50, you should be able to play in the Olympics.”

12. IOC president: Boston 2024 didn’t deliver on promises to USOC

Jul 29, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT

AP AP

“I gave up following [Boston 2024] because it was pretty confusing.”

13. Russia basketball says it’s suspended by FIBA

Jul 29, 2015, 10:28 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Its Olympic qualifying tournament is in less than two months.

14. Yuna Kim: About 90 percent of my career was hardship

Jul 29, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

AP AP

Watch Kim play badminton with Michelle Kwan.

15. No decision made on Bode Miller’s status, agent says

Jul 29, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Miller said June 15 he could ski a partial 2015-16 season, and a report last week cited Miller saying he would take at least one year off.

16. IOC president confident U.S. will still bid for 2024 Olympics

Jul 28, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT

AP AP

One city’s mayor is open to discussions.