Jul 18, 2013, 10:25 AM EST
There may be two Crosbys playing hockey for Canada at an Olympic Winter Games one day.
Sidney Crosby, the golden goal scorer at the Vancouver Olympics, figures to be a Hockey Canada cornerstone for years to come.
His sister, Taylor, 17, hopes to follow in his path. The promising goaltender is attending the IIHF High Performance Camp in Sheffield, England.
She’s going into her senior year at the elite Shattuck-St. Mary’s prep school in Minnesota. Her older brother led it to a national title in 2003.
“Obviously the ultimate goal would be playing in the Olympics, but also I would like to play in (NCAA) Division I hockey and go to school and graduate,” she told IIHF.com in a Q&A titled “The other Crosby.” “I won’t be able to play hockey forever, but I’d like to go as far as I can.”
How good is Taylor? She was among 15 female goaltender prospects invited to a Hockey Canada camp last month. Eight of them were under 18 like her.
“Pretty good size in the net and she uses that size well,” Hockey Canada scout Melody Davidson told The Associated Press in June. “How she’s going to mature and grow as a goalie is what we’re checking in on, and we’ll see how it goes from there.”
Don’t be surprised that Taylor went the goalie route. Her father, Troy, was a netminder drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in 1984.
Taylor’s next goal is to make the Canadian team for the U18 world championships in September and October. She’s surely too young for Sochi, but 2018 is a possibility.
The ages for the three Canadian women’s goalies at the 2010 Olympics were 23, 27 and 31.
“I think from when I first started to play I told myself I wanted to make it to the Olympics,” she said. “But that really was just a goal, aiming high right off the bat. But when I got to see the Canadian women’s team play in Vancouver that was the spark that made me feel like this was something that I really want to work towards. Just the emotion of the games and how happy the team and the fans were … that’s something that drives me even today.”
- Mikaela Shiffrin: ‘I’m trying to show people what’s not impossible’ 0
- Katie Ledecky faces decisions in 2015, 2016 0
- Michael Phelps back in the pool; Phelps, Ledecky win Golden Goggles 2
- Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84 1
- Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban 0
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard (video); Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)