Lindsey Vonn: I won’t get married again

Jul 17, 2013, 10:02 AM EST

Lindsey Vonn AP

Lindsey Vonn opened up about her relationship with Tiger Woods, her rehab from knee surgery and more in a Vogue magazine story published online Wednesday.

“Off to the Races: Olympic Skier” includes images of Vonn from famous photographer Annie Leibovitz at a June interview and photo shoot in New York City.

Vonn grimaced when asked if she would get married again.

“No, thanks!” she said. “I am definitely not getting married. To anyone.”

She also recounted her first meeting with Woods at a charity event in 2012.

“We immediately clicked, you know?” she said. “It was just one of those things.

“We talked a lot, corresponded a lot, and he was a good friend who was always there. And then it became more.”

She pauses for a moment and smiles. “It’s amazing. Life changes very quickly, in a very positive way, if you let it.” She laughs. “I am a little bit of a late bloomer. I’m delayed. Having a delayed reaction here! But I figured it out.”

Vonn, 28, said she no longer talks to her former husband and coach, Thomas Vonn

“Honestly, I wouldn’t take anything back,” she said. “I wouldn’t change being married. It was good for me and I was happy for a period of time, and I learned a lot about myself.”

Vonn’s rehab training has increased to playing tennis and “doing jump progressions into a pool,” according to the article. She still expects to get back on skis again in September with her first race in Beaver Creek, Colo., after Thanksgiving.

Will the memories of her crash weigh on her in future races?

“I don’t know,” said Vonn, who hopes to defend her Olympic downhill title in Sochi in February. “I mean, I’m hoping that it won’t affect me. But I foresee that maybe if conditions are bad, like they were when I crashed, I might have more hesitation than I normally would. And you can’t really have that if you’re trying to be the fastest. I’m someone who can watch my crash a million times and it doesn’t bother me. I don’t really get afraid. Maybe I’m crazy. Maybe I’m missing that part.”

Asked about her future in skiing, the three-time Olympian reiterated she plans on competing through the 2015 world championships in Vail, Colo.

“You can compete till about 34,” said Vonn, who turns 29 in October. “Or even longer. But most women retire because they want to have kids. If you’re successful and your body’s holding up, you could keep going, but most women don’t. But I don’t know: I said I’m going to ski through the 2015 world championships in Vail and then … assess the situation.”

Senator says U.S. should consider Sochi Olympic boycott

Latest Posts
  1. Steve Nash: Canada has ‘outside shot’ at Olympic basketball medal

Mar 4, 2015, 9:39 AM EST

Steve Nash Getty Images

But a “50-50″ shot at qualifying for the Olympics this summer.

2. Joakim Noah unlikely for EuroBasket, in doubt for Olympics

Mar 4, 2015, 8:56 AM EST

AP AP

France may have to qualify for Rio with a team led by Tony Parker.

3. Michael Phelps may be reinstated for World Championships, report says

Mar 3, 2015, 10:20 PM EST

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Previously, Phelps and USA Swimming agreed he would withdraw from the World Championships team due to his DUI arrest.

4. David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires

Mar 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EST

David Boudia Getty Images

The Olympic champion competes next week for the first time since July.

5. Pan American Games medals include Braille (photos)

Mar 3, 2015, 11:07 AM EST

Pan American Games medal

How do the versions for Toronto 2015 compare to previous Pan Am Games medals?

6. Fukushima, site of nuclear disaster, wants to host 2020 Olympic baseball

Mar 3, 2015, 10:27 AM EST

Fukushima Getty Images

Even if baseball is re-added to the Olympics, Fukushima might not be a logical choice to host games.

7. England FA hopes to qualify soccer teams for Rio Olympics

Mar 2, 2015, 4:59 PM EST

Team GB Getty Images

Team GB’s men and women were ousted in the 2012 Olympic quarterfinals.

8. Ronda Rousey should scare men’s fighters, Jay Glazer says (video)

Mar 2, 2015, 2:28 PM EST

Ronda Rousey Getty Images

The Olympic judo bronze medalist is compared to a former dominant heavyweight boxer.

9. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown

Mar 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Walsh Jennings also had breakfast with a beach legend in Rio de Janeiro.

10. South Africa 2024 Olympic bid ‘unrealistic,’ official says

Mar 2, 2015, 11:11 AM EST

South Africa flag Getty Images

IOC member and former South Africa Olympic Committee president previously said the nation was readying to bid.

11. Brittany Bowe sweeps at World Sprint Championships (video)

Mar 2, 2015, 10:21 AM EST

AP AP

Bowe skated with dominance not seen since 2003.

12. Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined

Mar 1, 2015, 8:31 AM EST

AP AP

Vonn will get another chance on Monday.

13. Ronda Rousey defends UFC title in 14 seconds

Mar 1, 2015, 12:05 AM EST

Ronda Rousey AP

Rousey is undefeated in 11 pro fights since winning Olympic judo bronze in 2008.

14. Elana Meyers Taylor wins historic bobsled World Championship (video)

Feb 28, 2015, 10:03 AM EST

Elana Meyers Taylor Getty Images

Meyers Taylor improved from silver medals at the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics.

15. Watch Rio Olympic Park transformation, timelapse videos

Feb 27, 2015, 3:55 PM EST

Rio Olympic Park

Rio government organization published two videos looking at the construction of Olympic Park.

16. Tour de France winner Vincenzo Nibali’s team may lose license

Feb 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EST

AP AP

Nibali might not be able to defend his Tour de France title as an Astana rider.