Lindsey Vonn: I won’t get married again

Jul 17, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT

Lindsey Vonn AP

Lindsey Vonn opened up about her relationship with Tiger Woods, her rehab from knee surgery and more in a Vogue magazine story published online Wednesday.

“Off to the Races: Olympic Skier” includes images of Vonn from famous photographer Annie Leibovitz at a June interview and photo shoot in New York City.

Vonn grimaced when asked if she would get married again.

“No, thanks!” she said. “I am definitely not getting married. To anyone.”

She also recounted her first meeting with Woods at a charity event in 2012.

“We immediately clicked, you know?” she said. “It was just one of those things.

“We talked a lot, corresponded a lot, and he was a good friend who was always there. And then it became more.”

She pauses for a moment and smiles. “It’s amazing. Life changes very quickly, in a very positive way, if you let it.” She laughs. “I am a little bit of a late bloomer. I’m delayed. Having a delayed reaction here! But I figured it out.”

Vonn, 28, said she no longer talks to her former husband and coach, Thomas Vonn

“Honestly, I wouldn’t take anything back,” she said. “I wouldn’t change being married. It was good for me and I was happy for a period of time, and I learned a lot about myself.”

Vonn’s rehab training has increased to playing tennis and “doing jump progressions into a pool,” according to the article. She still expects to get back on skis again in September with her first race in Beaver Creek, Colo., after Thanksgiving.

Will the memories of her crash weigh on her in future races?

“I don’t know,” said Vonn, who hopes to defend her Olympic downhill title in Sochi in February. “I mean, I’m hoping that it won’t affect me. But I foresee that maybe if conditions are bad, like they were when I crashed, I might have more hesitation than I normally would. And you can’t really have that if you’re trying to be the fastest. I’m someone who can watch my crash a million times and it doesn’t bother me. I don’t really get afraid. Maybe I’m crazy. Maybe I’m missing that part.”

Asked about her future in skiing, the three-time Olympian reiterated she plans on competing through the 2015 world championships in Vail, Colo.

“You can compete till about 34,” said Vonn, who turns 29 in October. “Or even longer. But most women retire because they want to have kids. If you’re successful and your body’s holding up, you could keep going, but most women don’t. But I don’t know: I said I’m going to ski through the 2015 world championships in Vail and then … assess the situation.”

Senator says U.S. should consider Sochi Olympic boycott

Latest Posts
  1. IPC Sled Hockey World Championship starts Sunday; full broadcast schedule

Apr 25, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT

Sled Hockey Getty Images

The U.S.’ first opponent marks a rematch of the Sochi gold-medal game.

2. Kirani James breaks Michael Johnson record at Drake Relays

Apr 25, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT

Kirani James AP

Only two men have ever run faster this early in the season.

3. Bruce Jenner: I’m a woman; Olympians react

Apr 25, 2015, 8:53 AM EDT

AP AP

Jenner explained how he felt different while winning the decathlon at the Montreal 1976 Olympics.

4. Watch Drake Relays, Penn Relays on NBC Sports Live Extra on Saturday

Apr 24, 2015, 3:51 PM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

Several Olympic champions are in the fields at the two meets.

5. Michael Phelps to move to Arizona with coach Bob Bowman

Apr 24, 2015, 3:50 PM EDT

AP AP

Phelps has followed Bowman to an NCAA stop before.

6. Simone Biles discusses Martha Karolyi’s team selfie, U.S. teammates, more

Apr 24, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT

AP AP

Biles is in the middle of a four-month break from competition.

7. Sled hockey helps Josh Sweeney in his recovery (video)

Apr 24, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT

Josh Sweeney Getty Images

Sweeney and Team USA begin World Championship play Sunday.

8. Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir headed to White House Correspondents’ Dinner, Kentucky Derby

Apr 24, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT

Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski Getty Images

NBC’s figure skating analysts will be visible daily during Kentucky Derby week.

9. New MLB commissioner wants long-term baseball pledge from Olympics

Apr 23, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT

AP AP

But he also shares the sentiment of Bud Selig on MLB participation.

10. Doug E. Doug reflects on ‘Cool Runnings’

Apr 23, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT

Doug E. Doug Getty Images

Doug wasn’t allowed to bobsled while filming, but he recently took his first run.

11. Meb Keflezighi hopes to be an example for Ryan Hall as Olympic trials approach

Apr 23, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT

AP AP

“It depends who you ask,” Keflezighi said of the U.S. Olympic Trials favorite.

12. U.S. Olympic Wrestling Trials to return to Iowa City

Apr 23, 2015, 9:02 AM EDT

Jordan Burroughs Getty Images

Two Olympic champions appear headed for a second Olympics, while a World champion seeks a first Olympic berth.

13. Paul Wylie ‘resting comfortably’ after heart problem

Apr 22, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT

Paul Wylie Getty Images

Wylie had a “heart abnormality while exercising,” his wife said.

14. Nadia Comaneci: Simone Biles’ difficulty is almost equal to men

Apr 22, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT

Nadia Comaneci Getty Images

Comaneci, the subject of a Katie Holmes-directed documentary, discussed current gymnastics topics.

15. Larry Bird, David Ortiz among Boston 2024 board of directors

Apr 22, 2015, 12:21 PM EDT

Larry Bird Getty Images

U.S. Olympic marathon and figure skating medalists are also in the group.

16. Ten sports where Brazil can win medals at Rio 2016

Apr 22, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT

Arthur Zanetti Getty Images

Included are some potential U.S.-Brazil duels.

17. Sweden mulls 2026 Winter Olympic bid

Apr 22, 2015, 9:11 AM EDT

Sweden Getty Images

Sweden scrapped a bid for 2022, and a joint Norway-Sweden bid has also been proposed.

18. Figure skaters recall odd gifts from fans

Apr 21, 2015, 3:51 PM EDT

Figure skating gifts Getty Images

Michelle Kwan, Meryl Davis, Evan Lysacek and more Olympians tell their memorable stories.