Jul 16, 2013, 5:47 PM EDT
Jamaican sprinter Yohan Blake will not defend his 100-meter title at next month’s world championships, his manager told Reuters.
Blake, the 2012 Olympic silver medalist in the 100 and 200, has been dealing with a hamstring injury since the spring and pulled out of the Jamaican trials last month.
“This decision was made after continual assessment and re-evaluations since his withdrawal from the Jamaican Senior Championships,” Cubie Seegobin told Reuters.
“Yohan has made vast improvement, although the injury sustained in April of this year has prevented him from attaining the necessary fitness levels that we have grown accustomed to seeing in his competition performances.”
Blake won the 2011 world title after Usain Bolt false started out of the final. With Blake and Tyson Gay now out, Bolt’s only threat is 2012 Olympic bronze medalist Justin Gatlin, who beat Bolt in Rome earlier this year.
- Alpine skiing men’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski preview Skate America 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ agent seeks prison meeting to discuss running future 1
- Alpine skiing women’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski, Terry Gannon named NBC’s lead figure skating announcers 0
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 4
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)