Jul 16, 2013, 7:01 AM EDT
Two of the “Fierce Five” Olympic gymnastics champions will lead the field at the Secret U.S. Classic on July 27.
McKayla Maroney, who also won vault silver in London, and Kyla Ross will compete in the Hoffman Estates, Ill., event three weeks before nationals.
Maroney, 17, suffered a fractured tibia during a post-Olympics tour in September. While rehabbing and recovering, she acted (“Hart of Dixie”), judged (Miss America Pageant) and appeared in a 30 Seconds to Mars music video.
Ross, 16, pulled out of the March American Cup with a heel injury but returend for the Jesolo Trophy later in March, taking all-around silver.
Maroney and Ross are joined in the senior competition by reigning U.S. junior champion Lexie Priessman and American Cup all-around silver medalist Simone Biles in the biggest event between now and nationals.
What are the other members of the “Fierce Five” up to?
Aly Raisman is in Israel to participate in the Maccabiah Games. Gabby Douglas is expected to return to competition next year. Jordyn Wieber resumed training in January with coach John Geddert, but it’s unknown when she will enter a meet.
- Greg Louganis recalls Olympic diving, HIV, coming out in ‘Back on Board’ film 0
- Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte miss medals; Katie Ledecky breaks record at Worlds 1
- Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback 0
- Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships 0
- Katie Ledecky breaks 1500m freestyle world record again 1
- Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships 0
- Gwen Jorgensen, Sarah True make 2016 U.S. Olympic triathlon team 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)