Ato Boldon: Impact of Tyson Gay, Asafa Powell positive tests on Usain Bolt, others in track and field

Jul 15, 2013, 5:54 PM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

In the aftermath of one of the lowest days of track and field since the BALCO scandal, OlympicTalk editor Nick Zaccardi reached out to NBC Olympics track and field analyst Ato Boldon for his observations of what’s next after Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell‘s positive drug tests.

I had people asking me today, “How come Usain Bolt‘s not testing positive if all these other Jamaicans are?”

Wait a minute. They may run for the same country, but they’re not all sleeping in the same bed. Bolt and Powell obviously come from rival camps, Racers and MVP.

Bolt has never had anything remotely around him in either his junior or senior career indicating something like this. It’s not exactly fair to him to say, well, look at all these Jamaicans.

You can’t blame Bolt for something Powell does any more than you could have blamed Gay when Justin Gatlin tested positive in 2006.

I was in the sport at the time of BALCO, and I can name three or four guys who lined up with me on a weekly basis, who I considered my peers, who were very much involved in BALCO. Does that mean I was involved in BALCO? No.

I understand the doping questions are going to be asked of Bolt, and it’s unfortunate.

Another question I was asked, back when Veronica Campbell-Brown‘s positive test was revealed in June, was if I would be surprised by anybody failing a drug test in track and field anymore.

I said no, but it wasn’t because of Campbell-Brown’s case. Let me explain this. The fact is that the culture of track and field, especially right now, is that there are a ton of elite athletes who are scared to lose their legacy forever and lose their medals. They will not go into the steroid/human growth hormone area. They will not risk it.

However, they will take supplements. I took supplements every year of my career. It’s not a coincidence that Campbell-Brown, Powell and Gay, assuming this all comes out as stimulants, that they are all pushing the envelope of 30 or older. They’re trying to extend their careers a little bit.

What you’re seeing is people thinking this supplement is fine and are assured it’s not going to register a positive.

I pride myself on being clued into the sport, but I found out about the trainer for Powell and Sherone Simpson who was questioned in Italy with everybody else. And now reports say the hotel they were staying at has been raided.

The bottom line is people seek out these clubs and seek out these stars. It wasn’t always supplements when I worked out at UCLA back in the day. It was, “I have this new thing, and it’s going to help you train better, recover better.” There’s always something that somebody with a product is trying to pass off on elite athletes.

One change I’d like to see from all of this is a distinction to be made between supplements and stimulants and what we call “the hard stuff” — steroids and human growth hormone.

A lot of people are waking up today, seeing the headlines scream “Gay” and “Powell” and “positive.” The average fan thinks, oh, steroids.

On the Olympic testing level, if steroids or human growth hormone are a nine or a 10, what Powell took is in the four or five range.

Today, there are a lot of pro track and field athletes who are saying, “If I can’t be 100 percent sure this supplement won’t test positive down the road, I’m done. I’m not taking any supplements.”

Sixty percent of athletes are doing that today. The other 40 percent are trusting what they’ve been taking, with no issues, sticking to that script and not adding any new stuff. Now you’ve got a divide.

It’s a joke within the track and field community that civilians probably couldn’t pass a drug test because of what’s in their medicine cabinet. Now is the time to make a big distinction, to allow athletes to take certain supplements up to a certain category. Anything past that level, don’t ask for leniency.

As for punishments, I would be surprised to see any of Gay, Powell or Campbell-Brown get more than six months, certainly nowhere near the possible two years. Go away and atone for your sins this year. We’ll see them back next year, hoping the public and the sponsors forgive them and that they’ve learned the error of their ways.

Adidas suspends its sponsorship of Tyson Gay

Latest Posts
  1. Yuzuru Hanyu (back) pulls out of first event this season

Sep 23, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT

Yuzuru Hanyu Getty Images

Olympic champion’s scheduled Grand Prix events are in November.

2. Sun Yang beats Kosuke Hagino (linked video), Ye Shiwen wins at Asian Games

Sep 23, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT

Sun Yang Getty Images

Chinese Olympic champion evens head to head with Japan’s rising star in Incheon.

3. Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir to sit out season

Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT

Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir Getty Images

Canadians not ruling out return to ice dancing.

4. Noora Raty plays men’s hockey in Finland; Shannon Szabados set to return to Columbus

Sep 22, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT

Noora Raty Getty Images

Raty nearly did something two Canadian Olympic women’s goalies couldn’t do against the men.

5. Skylar Diggins, 2 others cut after Team USA’s first loss since 2011

Sep 22, 2014, 1:41 PM EDT

Skylar Diggins Getty Images

U.S. women must cut one more player before FIBA World Championships.

6. Carolina Kostner called in for doping hearing again Friday

Sep 22, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT

Carolina Kostner Getty Images

Figure skater to be questioned over doping by her ex-boyfriend, Olympic champ race walker.

7. Kosuke Hagino: I’m trying to become like Michael Phelps

Sep 22, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT

Michael Phelps, Kosuke Hagino Getty Images

World’s greatest swimmer on display at Asian Games.

8. Scary crash at World Road Cycling Championships (video)

Sep 22, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT

Anna Van der Breggen Getty Images

Lead cyclist hits fence, trailing cyclist breaks pelvis.

9. Poland wins World Volleyball Championship at home, pandemonium (photos, videos)

Sep 22, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT

World Volleyball Championship Poland Getty Images

Upset of dynastic Brazil sets off bedlam inside arena, outside streets for host nation.

10. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross complete perfect AVP season after wardrobe malfunction

Sep 22, 2014, 7:35 AM EDT

April Ross, Kerri Walsh Jennings Getty Images

Walsh Jennings, Ross played with interesting keys looped through chains Sunday.

11. Oksana Chusovitina, 39, eyes all-around at World Gymnastics Championships

Sep 22, 2014, 7:08 AM EDT

Oksana Chusovitina Getty Images

Uzbekistan gymnast has competed at World Championships since 1991.

12. Australia swim star Grant Hackett returns to training, dismisses Rio

Sep 21, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT

Grant Hackett Getty Images

“I would be 36 for Rio. That’s probably just getting on a bit too much.”

13. Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months

Sep 19, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT

Wallace Spearmon Getty Images

Spearmon lost a 2008 Olympic medal due to disqualification and finished fourth in the 2012 Olympic 200m.

14. Viktoria Komova out of World Gymnastics Championships, report says

Sep 19, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT

Viktoria Komova Getty Images

Komova won Olympic all-around silver behind Gabby Douglas.

15. South Korea hockey teams given spots in 2018 Olympics

Sep 19, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT

South Korea hockey Getty Images

There was concern Olympic host nation wouldn’t be able to qualify in hockey.

16. Carolina Kostner skips hearing in ex-boyfriend’s doping case

Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 AM EDT

Carolina Kostner Getty Images

Olympic medalist skater could be called in for later hearing.

17. Jens Voigt bikes 31.7 miles in 1 hour, breaks record

Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT

Jens Voigt Getty Images

Three-time Olympian rides into retirement by entering history books.

18. Rio Olympic Village more than 50 percent complete

Sep 18, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT

Rio Olympic Village

Work expected to finish in the first half of 2016.

Yogging a hit at Youth Olympic Games