Jul 13, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Tony Parker isn’t ready to step away from basketball any time soon. Not internationally, at least.
Parker aims to play for France at the next Olympics, should the nation qualify, he reiterated to French website 76actu. Parker had said after France finished sixth in London that he would try for 2016.
The San Antonio Spurs guard would be 34 come the Rio Games. He led France with 15.7 points per game to a deceiving quarterfinal exit at the 2012 Olympics.
France could have easily been the third best team in London. Its only losses were to the gold and silver medalists, the U.S. and Spain.
It marked Parker’s Olympic debut. France hadn’t played in the Olympics since 2000, when it won silver.
Parker could be the veteran leader on a potential 2016 France team with rising Portland Trail Blazers swingman Nicolas Batum and Washington Wizards power forward Kevin Seraphin perhaps taking on bigger roles.
Parker and Batum are on France’s roster for EuroBasket in September. The nation fell to Spain in the 2011 final of the tournament which crowns the champion of Europe.
There’s also Chicago Bulls center Joakim Noah, who missed the 2012 Olympics with an ankle injury and will be 31 come Rio and is not on the EuroBasket roster.
- Watch Rio Olympic Park move from construction to completion 0
- Bruce Jenner’s Olympic Torch going up for auction 0
- Will Abby Wambach play in Rio? 1
- Rory McIlroy ruptures ankle ligment 2
- U.S. Women undefeated after opening of indoor volleyball Grand Prix tournament 0
- Lucena, Brunner finish fourth while Brazilians claim victory at Beach Volleyball World Championships 0
- Jamaican sprinters Asafa Powell and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce dominate at Paris Diamond League 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)