Jul 13, 2013, 9:33 AM EDT
Olympic silver medalist figure skater Sasha Cohen stopped by SB Nation for a 30-minute video chat published Friday. There was plenty to talk about.
She also dished on skating. Topics ranged from “Blades of Glory” to tour life and even mentions of Tonya Harding and Midori Ito.
And, yes, Shaun White came up. Cohen was asked if she had met anybody notable outside of figure skating at the 2006 Olympics.
White, she said, bringing up the much-talked (and written-) about date request that the Olympic champion snowboarder made after winning gold at the Torino Games.
“I hung out with him at the end, the closing ceremonies, but by then there had been a lot of back and forth through USA Today and blah, blah, blah, before we even met,” she said. “And nothing more exciting to tell, unfortunately.”
Coincidentally, White is currently in Cohen’s city, New York, where he’s performing with his band, Bad Things.
Other tidbits from the wide-ranging interview:
• Asked if she ever suggested music for her programs but had it rejected, she replied: “Every Britney Spears song.”
• Her skating skills haven’t translated to roller blading. She falls a lot, even lost a wheel in SoHo. Not having a toe pick makes it tougher, she said.
• On figure skating bullies: “There’s definitely people that hog the music and don’t share and get in your way and purposefully don’t move out of your way (during practice).”
- Jamaican sprinters Asafa Powell and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce dominate at Paris Diamond League 0
- Jordan Burroughs on Rio: ‘My chances of winning’ are better than in London 1
- Rio 2016 Olympic torch unveiled 1
- Allyson Felix considering 200-400m double at Worlds 1
- USOC eyes majority support for Boston 2024 ‘relatively soon’ 0
- Usain Bolt pulls out of July track meets 1
- Michael Phelps’ career in photos on his 30th birthday 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)