Jul 13, 2013, 10:51 AM EDT
The world’s greatest athlete is about to be officially off the market.
Olympic decathlon champion and world-record holder Ashton Eaton is set to marry fellow track and field athlete Brianne Theisen on Saturday.
The two met as teenagers at the University of Oregon in Eugene, where the ceremony will take place. Eaton, 25, went on to gold-medal fame. Theisen, 24, placed 11th in the heptathlon at the London Olympics.
There are times when it gets tough for Theisen, a back-to-back NCAA champion for the Ducks.
“Sometimes it can get a little bit difficult just because Ashton is so good,” Theisen told the Canadian Press. “Sometimes I feel like what I do can get overlooked or just overseen. I’ll (set a personal record) in a meet, and then the next day he breaks the world record.
“It’s not that I’m mad at him or anything, I get so excited for him. But sometimes that part of it can get a little bit frustrating.”
The wedding’s a big deal. There’s even a hashtag for it.
They got engaged in 2011 but put off the wedding until after the hectic Olympic year.
Even 2013 hasn’t been all smooth sailing. A javelin throw from Theisen in practice grazed Eaton’s nose a few months ago. They’ve trained together under the same coach, Harry Mara, since 2009.
What’s it like to live with Eaton?
“I see what he eats — Kraft Dinner, hot dogs,” Theisen told the Canadian Press. “He plays video games until 2 in the morning.”
Eaton and Theisen will be together in Moscow in August for the world championships. Eaton won silver behind American Trey Hardee at 2011 worlds, while Theisen missed the event with a back injury.
- U.S. blanks Canada for gold at IPC World Sled Hockey Championship 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Tiger Woods announce breakup 7
- U.S. holds off Usain Bolt at World Relays (video) 2
- Kim Rhode still No. 1 after difficult pregnancy, gun change on road to history in Rio 0
- Jillion Potter done with cancer treatment, eyes U.S. rugby return, Olympics 0
- Jeremy Bloom recalls 2006 Olympics in ‘Fueled by Failure’ 0
- Missy Franklin on her dream relay, unusual autographs, ‘the worm’ 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)