Jul 11, 2013, 7:21 AM EST
Nice try, Nude Olympics.
The Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) warned organizers of the Maslin Beach event to change its name a second time, according to the Southern Times Messenger.
Originally the Maslin Beach Nude Olympics, it tweaked its name to the Maslin Beach Nudo Lympics earlier this month. That wasn’t good enough.
An AOC lawyer sent a letter to the event saying the AOC “does not consent” to the name change, that it still resembles the word “Olympics.” The new name is “unlawful,” the AOC lawyer wrote, according to the report.
“There can be no suggestion other than that you have chosen this name because of the connotation of ‘the Olympics,'” the lawyer wrote.
What are the Nude Olympics (or Nudo Lympics)? They’ve been around since 1983 but missed five years starting in 2007 because of a lack of sponsorship.
Here’s how the Maslin Beach website describes the event:
Maslin Beach holds a yearly, world renowned, nude Olympics. This rather unusual yet fun event holds contests such as the three legged race and the best bum contest. The Maslin Beach Nude Olympics is a widely accepted and well respected event within the town and the rest of the world. The event takes place in the southern half of the beach (well away from other “clothed” beach goers) — which is the first officially declared nude beach in Australia.
It also includes sand castle and donut-eating competitions. It’s fun for the whole family, including sack races, water balloon-throwing and frisbee-tossing events.
The event is scheduled for January 2014, according to the event’s website, which adds the following line:
“The name of this event has been changed due to threats from The Australian Olympic Committee. They have forbidden us from using the word in the future – they need to get a life if they think we are a threat to them.”
- Katie Ledecky faces decisions in 2015, 2016 0
- Michael Phelps back in the pool; Phelps, Ledecky win Golden Goggles 2
- Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84 1
- Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban 0
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard (video); Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)