Jul 11, 2013, 7:21 AM EDT
Nice try, Nude Olympics.
The Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) warned organizers of the Maslin Beach event to change its name a second time, according to the Southern Times Messenger.
Originally the Maslin Beach Nude Olympics, it tweaked its name to the Maslin Beach Nudo Lympics earlier this month. That wasn’t good enough.
An AOC lawyer sent a letter to the event saying the AOC “does not consent” to the name change, that it still resembles the word “Olympics.” The new name is “unlawful,” the AOC lawyer wrote, according to the report.
“There can be no suggestion other than that you have chosen this name because of the connotation of ‘the Olympics,’” the lawyer wrote.
What are the Nude Olympics (or Nudo Lympics)? They’ve been around since 1983 but missed five years starting in 2007 because of a lack of sponsorship.
Here’s how the Maslin Beach website describes the event:
Maslin Beach holds a yearly, world renowned, nude Olympics. This rather unusual yet fun event holds contests such as the three legged race and the best bum contest. The Maslin Beach Nude Olympics is a widely accepted and well respected event within the town and the rest of the world. The event takes place in the southern half of the beach (well away from other “clothed” beach goers) — which is the first officially declared nude beach in Australia.
It also includes sand castle and donut-eating competitions. It’s fun for the whole family, including sack races, water balloon-throwing and frisbee-tossing events.
The event is scheduled for January 2014, according to the event’s website, which adds the following line:
“The name of this event has been changed due to threats from The Australian Olympic Committee. They have forbidden us from using the word in the future – they need to get a life if they think we are a threat to them.”
- Ashton Eaton ‘disappointed’ after missing world record in heptathlon; World Indoors recap 0
- U.S. wins 3 medals on first day of Sochi Paralympics 0
- Mikaela Shiffrin captures slalom title, inspired by girl with leukemia (video) 1
- Ted Ligety wins first post-Olympic race, notches World Cup first (video) 0
- President Obama yet to deliver after losing Olympic beer bet 6
- Shannon Szabados joins men’s pro hockey team 0
- Oscar Pistorius said ‘everything is fine’ to security calling about gunshot reports (video) 0