Jul 11, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT
Add Jessica Ennis to the growing list of the most recognizable track and field stars who could miss the world championships.
Ennis, 27, hasn’t competed in the heptathlon since her gold-medal performance at the London Olympics. She got married in April but has been hampered by an ankle injury since, pulling out of meets in Edinburgh, Oslo and Estonia.
She is expected to pull out of this weekend’s British world championship trials and could miss next week’s Diamond League meet in Monaco as well as the Anniversary Games at London’s Olympic Stadium from July 26-28, Express reported.
UPDATE: Ennis is out of the British trials, per the Telegraph.
Jessica Ennis-Hill out of this weekend's trials as still not recovered from ankle problem, though team optimistic she'll be OK for Moscow—
Simon Hart (@SiHart) July 11, 2013
Ennis joins several world and Olympic champions as question marks (or straight absences) for next month’s world championships in Moscow — David Rudisha, Yohan Blake, Asafa Powell, Phillips Idowu, Greg Rutherford, Caster Semenya, Veronica Campbell-Brown, Vivian Cheruiyot, Dayron Robles and Liu Xiang, among others.
Sanya Richards-Ross didn’t qualify individually, Lolo Jones‘ track season is over and Oscar Pistorius won’t be competing for a while, either.
The heptathlon at worlds in Moscow takes place Aug. 12-13. Ennis won silver at the 2011 worlds behind Russian Tatyana Chernova, the bronze medalist at the Olympics.
American Sharon Day holds the world lead in the heptathlon with 6,550 points, garnered at the U.S. championships in June. That total would have placed seventh at the London Olympics.
- Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video) 0
- Youth Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo (photos) 0
- U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds 0
- Zurich Diamond League final preview 0
- Jonathan Horton boosted by 2008 teammate to successful return 0
- Sam Mikulak rallies for repeat P&G Championships title (video) 0
- Usain Bolt ends his season 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)