Jul 11, 2013, 9:20 AM EST
Add Jessica Ennis to the growing list of the most recognizable track and field stars who could miss the world championships.
Ennis, 27, hasn’t competed in the heptathlon since her gold-medal performance at the London Olympics. She got married in April but has been hampered by an ankle injury since, pulling out of meets in Edinburgh, Oslo and Estonia.
She is expected to pull out of this weekend’s British world championship trials and could miss next week’s Diamond League meet in Monaco as well as the Anniversary Games at London’s Olympic Stadium from July 26-28, Express reported.
UPDATE: Ennis is out of the British trials, per the Telegraph.
Ennis joins several world and Olympic champions as question marks (or straight absences) for next month’s world championships in Moscow — David Rudisha, Yohan Blake, Asafa Powell, Phillips Idowu, Greg Rutherford, Caster Semenya, Veronica Campbell-Brown, Vivian Cheruiyot, Dayron Robles and Liu Xiang, among others.
Sanya Richards-Ross didn’t qualify individually, Lolo Jones‘ track season is over and Oscar Pistorius won’t be competing for a while, either.
The heptathlon at worlds in Moscow takes place Aug. 12-13. Ennis won silver at the 2011 worlds behind Russian Tatyana Chernova, the bronze medalist at the Olympics.
American Sharon Day holds the world lead in the heptathlon with 6,550 points, garnered at the U.S. championships in June. That total would have placed seventh at the London Olympics.
- Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir at Super Bowl Media Day (video) 0
- Galen Rupp talks training with Mo Farah, marathons, weird drug test story 0
- Russian Olympic, World champions get doping bans 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin lead World Alpine Skiing Championships women’s preview 1
- Rio 2016 Olympic torch relay details announced 0
- K.C. Boutiette returns to World Cup speed skating for first time since 2006 0
- Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)