Jul 11, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT
Add Jessica Ennis to the growing list of the most recognizable track and field stars who could miss the world championships.
Ennis, 27, hasn’t competed in the heptathlon since her gold-medal performance at the London Olympics. She got married in April but has been hampered by an ankle injury since, pulling out of meets in Edinburgh, Oslo and Estonia.
She is expected to pull out of this weekend’s British world championship trials and could miss next week’s Diamond League meet in Monaco as well as the Anniversary Games at London’s Olympic Stadium from July 26-28, Express reported.
UPDATE: Ennis is out of the British trials, per the Telegraph.
Ennis joins several world and Olympic champions as question marks (or straight absences) for next month’s world championships in Moscow — David Rudisha, Yohan Blake, Asafa Powell, Phillips Idowu, Greg Rutherford, Caster Semenya, Veronica Campbell-Brown, Vivian Cheruiyot, Dayron Robles and Liu Xiang, among others.
Sanya Richards-Ross didn’t qualify individually, Lolo Jones‘ track season is over and Oscar Pistorius won’t be competing for a while, either.
The heptathlon at worlds in Moscow takes place Aug. 12-13. Ennis won silver at the 2011 worlds behind Russian Tatyana Chernova, the bronze medalist at the Olympics.
American Sharon Day holds the world lead in the heptathlon with 6,550 points, garnered at the U.S. championships in June. That total would have placed seventh at the London Olympics.
- Jamaican sprinters Asafa Powell and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce dominate at Paris Diamond League 0
- Jordan Burroughs on Rio: ‘My chances of winning’ are better than in London 1
- Rio 2016 Olympic torch unveiled 1
- Allyson Felix considering 200-400m double at Worlds 1
- USOC eyes majority support for Boston 2024 ‘relatively soon’ 0
- Usain Bolt pulls out of July track meets 1
- Michael Phelps’ career in photos on his 30th birthday 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)