Jul 10, 2013, 7:18 AM EDT
Universal Sports recently posed a question to the U.S.’ top swimmers that might be just as tough for you or I to answer.
Have you ever peed in the pool?
In the video, 15 current and former U.S. swimmers offered varying responses. Legends Janet Evans and Rowdy Gaines, perhaps using their experience with tough questions, would not answer, while Cullen Jones offered a staunch denial.
“I would say … no,” said Jones, a role model for many children as a Make a Splash ambassador raising awareness teaching kids how to swim. “Definitely not. I’ve never peed in the pool.”
Just about everyone else came clean, though.
“I try not to,” Missy Franklin said.
Tyler Clary and Matt McLean didn’t hold back. They do so, frequently.
“That would be like asking somebody if they’ve ever brushed their teeth,” Clary said. “Of course I’ve done it. In fact, I do it probably a couple of times a day without even realizing it myself.”
“The pool is the largest urinal that I’ve ever seen,” McLean said. “I really don’t think I ever get into a pool without peeing in it.”
Twelve-time Olympic medalist Natalie Coughlin was probably the voice of reason.
“Everyone pees in the pool,” she said. “And anyone that says that they don’t is a liar.”
The most famous admission came last summer, when Ryan Lochte said on TODAY that he peed in the pool during warm-ups at the London Olympics.
British prime minister David Cameron caught wind of the comments.
“I was surprised to hear that,” he told Metro. “It’s not OK to pee in the pool.”
- Top ten storylines from World Track and Field Championships 0
- USOC, Los Angeles agree to 2024 Olympic bid, reports say 0
- U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003 3
- Usain Bolt anchors Jamaica to 4x100m relay gold after U.S. mishap 5
- Ashton Eaton breaks decathlon world record, wins World Championship 2
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)