Jul 10, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
The lead rhythmic gymnastics official at the 2012 Olympics was expelled by the International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) after allegations of “irregularities” at international judges’ courses in the fall of 2012.
Poland’s Maria Szyszkowska, former president of the sport’s technical committee, was stripped of her FIG membership and “excluded from any form of participation in all FIG events and activities.”
Six other technical committee members were suspended until Dec. 31, 2014, including American Caroline Hunt. They have 21 days to appeal.
The suspensions stem not from major event judging, but from three international judges’ courses in November and December.
“It noted irregularities in the conduct of these three courses, notably considering that many judges had the same scores and same percentages, that arbitrary and unjustified bonus were given to participants and that examination was not done anonymously, making it possible to recognize which exam belonged to whom,” the FIG wrote in June.
There were two rhythmic gymnastics events at the London Olympics, the group and individual all-arounds, both won by Russia. The only U.S. entry, Julie Zetlin, finished 21st in the individual competition.
The rhythmic gymnastics world championships are Aug. 28-Sept. 1 in Kiev, Ukraine.
- Usain Bolt eases Jamaica to win in his first race of 2014 0
- Gabby Douglas out of P&G Championships, at new gym, report says 0
- Simone Biles returns to Secret Classic a different gymnast 0
- Meb Keflezighi, Caroline Wozniacki to run New York City Marathon 0
- U.S. swimming rankings going into National Championships 0
- German long jump champion, a Paralympian, left off European Championships roster 3
- Eddy Alvarez heats up in Arizona League 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)