Jul 9, 2013, 12:04 PM EST
The World University Games recalled 3,014 medals after at least two athletes reported breaking their medals, according to R-Sport.
The World University Games are held from July 6-17 in Kazan, Russia, but the medal manufacturer is different from that which makes the medals for the Sochi Olympics, according to the report.
Chinese diver Qin Tian and Russian wrestler Azamat Laipanov reportedly dropped and broke their medals. They were given replacements.
“Now I have two medals, and I’m going to take care of them very carefully,” Qin told R-Sport.
Medal manufacturer Goznak is in Kazan to fix the problem. It is unclear if the 200-plus medals already won will have to be replaced.
- Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84 1
- Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban 0
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 1
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)