Jul 9, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
The World University Games recalled 3,014 medals after at least two athletes reported breaking their medals, according to R-Sport.
The World University Games are held from July 6-17 in Kazan, Russia, but the medal manufacturer is different from that which makes the medals for the Sochi Olympics, according to the report.
Chinese diver Qin Tian and Russian wrestler Azamat Laipanov reportedly dropped and broke their medals. They were given replacements.
“Now I have two medals, and I’m going to take care of them very carefully,” Qin told R-Sport.
Medal manufacturer Goznak is in Kazan to fix the problem. It is unclear if the 200-plus medals already won will have to be replaced.
- Usain Bolt pulls out of July track meets 0
- Michael Phelps’ career in photos on his 30th birthday 0
- Michael Phelps’ potential record chases at Rio Olympics 0
- Flashback: Michael Phelps at the Sydney 2000 Olympics 0
- Five takeaways from U.S. Track and Field Championships 0
- Boston 2024 releases Olympic bid version 2.0 (photos) 0
- Yannick Agnel withdraws from World Swimming Championships 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)