Jul 9, 2013, 10:12 AM EDT
Usain Bolt will not play in a special Manchester United match the day before the 100-meter heats at the world championships, his agent said in an email Tuesday.
Bolt’s agent, Ricky Simms, said Bolt would have loved to play had the match been on a suitable date after track season.
Bolt was reported by The Sun to be on the Manchester United squad to play Sevilla in a testimonial match for longtime United defender Rio Ferdinand.
That match is scheduled for Aug. 9 at 2:30 p.m. ET. Bolt gets to skip the preliminary round of the 100 meters in Moscow the following day, but his first-round heat later that night in Moscow would be around 12:30 p.m. ET on Aug. 10.
A flight from Manchester to Moscow takes about four hours. It appears Bolt’s dream to play for United must wait a bit longer.
- U.S. 400m runner Torrin Lawrence dies in car accident 0
- Brazil’s Olympic coach wants Neymar to play at Rio 2016 0
- U.S. teams sweep World Series of Beach Volleyball (video) 0
- UPDATE: Noelle Pikus-Pace’s brother and his children found in Idaho 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross make WSOBV final 0
- Usain Bolt arrives in Glasgow, says he’s injury free 0
- Queen photobombs Commonwealth Games athlete selfie 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)