Jul 9, 2013, 4:41 AM EDT
NBC’s 9NEWS in Colorado, the same station that brought us last week’s video of Coloradans guessing where Sochi is located, has published another dispatch from a recent scouting trip to the 2014 Winter Olympic city.
In this video, Sochi: Winter Olympics spot & beach getaway, the station examines what to expect weather-wise come February. The Winter Games are less than seven months away with the opening ceremony Feb. 7 and some competitions beginning before the cauldron is lit.
The report says Joseph Stalin established Sochi as a resort — he even had a summer home there — and that the average winter temperature is 50 degrees.
The station interviewed the Weather Channel’s Jim Cantore, who covered the balmy weather issues at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.
“To go from sea to mountains in 30 miles is a pretty big change,” said Cantore, on site in Sochi. “Nobody really knows what’s going to happen here. Could we have a day where it’s 20 Celsius (68 Farenheit) up in the mountains? Maybe. Could we have a day where it’s snowing four, five, six inches an hour because there’s such perfect upslope from the Black Sea?”
The report also shows images of Sochi’s snow-making and snow-saving systems just in case the weather doesn’t cooperate next winter.
- Kosuke Hagino: I’m trying to become like Michael Phelps 0
- Poland wins World Volleyball Championship at home, pandemonium (photos, videos) 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross complete perfect AVP season after wardrobe malfunction 0
- Katie Ledecky wins USA Swimming Athlete of the Year; who are World Swimmers of the Year? 0
- Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months 0
- Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards 1
- Analyzing the U.S. gymnastics women’s World Championships team 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)