Jul 8, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT
Andy Murray had said he wasn’t sure if a Wimbledon title could be better than winning the Olympics. Well, now Twitter has spoken.
Murray’s 6-4, 7-5, 6-4 win over Novak Djokovic in Sunday’s final, the first win for a British man since 1936, accrued 3.4 million mentions on Twitter over a 12-hour stretch, according to the United Kingdom’s Twitter blog.
It climaxed around the end of the match, at about 5:25 p.m. London time, at 120,000 tweets per minute.
That edged the UK’s highest ratio during the London Olympics, when the Spice Girls reunited to perform during the closing ceremony. That moment generated a mere 116,000 tweets per minute, according to the report.
Murray added more than 131,000 followers to reach nearly two million total on the final day of Wimbledon. His first post-victory tweet was retweeted more than 90,000 times.
On Monday, Murray answered questions on Twitter, including if he slept with the trophy Sunday night (no). Clearly, being the toast of Britain hasn’t caused an ego inflation.
Mar 30, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT
Gabby Douglas and Aly Raisman are attempting what six other Olympic medalists before them failed.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Gatlin may have gotten an up-close look at his biggest U.S. threat on Saturday.
Mar 30, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
Argentina is in jeopardy of not qualifying for the Rio Olympics.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:24 PM EDT
It marked Jorgensen’s largest margin of victory in her World Triathlon Series career.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:42 PM EDT
But they haven’t decided on the 2018 Olympics.
Mar 28, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Terry Gannon, Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir and Tracy Wilson are on the call.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
How they fared against World champion Simone Biles.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
“I don’t know if it’s going to ever happen again.”
Mar 28, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
Next year, Tuktamysheva can go for a feat not seen since 2001.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
The U.S. has a new former NHL player as head coach, is missing a major Sochi star and hopes to end a losing streak to Canada.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
The Olympic champions are slated to compete for the first time since London 2012 this weekend.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT
The U.S. men are unlikely to secure three spots for the 2016 World Championships.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT
A French couple became the youngest World champions in 40 years.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:14 AM EDT
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva landed a triple Axel in one of the greatest short programs of all time.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
The last time Canada won a World title in pairs was before the 2002 judging scandal.
Mar 25, 2015, 9:44 AM EDT
A slight improvement could mark the best U.S. pairs finishes since 2002.
Mar 25, 2015, 9:13 AM EDT
Bolt’s last appearance in New York produced his first world record.
Mar 25, 2015, 8:53 AM EDT
The Olympians could become the second U.S. ice dance couple to win a World Championship.
Mar 24, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
The Olympic and World champion returns to the site of a bloody collision.
Mar 24, 2015, 10:11 AM EDT
Boston will not move forward with an Olympic bid if a majority of state and city residents don’t support it.
- A recent history of U.S. Olympic gymnastics comebacks 0
- Meryl Davis, Charlie White won’t compete next season 1
- Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman competitive with U.S. teammates in comeback 0
- Javier Fernandez wins upset World Championship; top American fourth 0
- Elizaveta Tuktamysheva wins World Championship; U.S. just misses medals 0
- How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu tops World Championships short program; Jason Brown leads Americans 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)