Jul 7, 2013, 7:35 AM EDT
British gymnast Louis Smith denied a report from The Mirror that he is giving up on the sport to pursue a career as a fashion designer.
Smith won bronze and silver on the pommel horse at the last two Olympics, missing out on gold in 2012 via a tiebreaker to Hungary’s Krisztian Berki.
He also helped Great Britain to team bronze in London.
Smith tweeted on Sunday that he has not retired.
Ok just to clear up all the google alerts I've had. I haven't retired to become a fashion designer lol..—
Louis Smith MBE (@louissmith1989) July 07, 2013
The Mirror quoted Smith in its report, but none of Smith’s comments were 100 percent definitive that he has retired.
“I am over the moon with everything I have achieved in the sport,” Smith, winner of British TV show “Strictly Come Dancing,” said, according to The Mirror. “And I think it is best that I go out on top and don’t become a has been. A fashion line will hopefully be on the way.”
The Mirror‘s report agrees with a September article from the Daily Star quoting Smith saying, “I’m not training for gymnastics anymore and don’t have any competitions left. … I’m unofficially, officially retired.”
Four months later, Smith told Sky Sports News he was pondering making a run at the 2016 Olympics.
“Rio is definitely on the radar,” Smith said. “I just don’t know whether I will be watching or competing.”
- How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics 0
- Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton 0
- Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video) 0
- Youth Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo (photos) 0
- U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds 0
- Zurich Diamond League final preview 0
- Jonathan Horton boosted by 2008 teammate to successful return 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)