Jul 6, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
2012 Olympic silver medalist Tony Martin rides on with a little less skin in the Tour de France after being briefly knocked unconscious after a crash seven days ago.
A picture was posted of the German, runner-up to Bradley Wiggins in the London time trial, and went viral overnight Friday to Saturday. He suffered a bruised lung, among other injuries, on that opening stage crash on June 29.
Leading German sports newspaper Bild ran the photo (WARNING: Graphic) with a headline translated to, “The wounds Tony travels the Tour with.”
Martin needs two helpers to get his jersey off after each stage and can’t sleep on his back, according to Bild.
Martin is likely soldiering on with his eye on the individual time trial on Wednesday, especially because three of the world’s best time trial riders won’t be competing.
2012 Olympic champ Wiggins skipped the Tour due to injury, 2008 Olympic champ Fabian Cancellara is out to focus on September’s world championships, and the reigning world silver medalist, American Taylor Phinney, was not selected for BMC’s Tour de France roster.
Martin is the two-time reigning world time trial champion.
- John Orozco’s mom on his mind as he leads P&G Championships 0
- Bond between Gabby Douglas, Simone Biles 0
- Michael Phelps, Missy Franklin 4th in 100 free, win Pan Pacs relay golds 0
- Simone Biles dominates to open P&G Championships 0
- Amy Van Dyken-Rouen stands, walks with assistance for first time since accident (video) 3
- Sam Mikulak leads one of most decorated P&G Championships fields ever 0
- Katie Ledecky wins 2 Pan Pacs titles; Missy Franklin places 3rd 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)