Jul 6, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
Andy Murray returns to the scene of his Olympic triumph Sunday, aiming for the biggest prize in tennis. Or is it?
Before facing Novak Djokovic in the Wimbledon final, Murray recalled his gold-medal sweep of Roger Federer in the Olympic final, also on Centre Court, on Aug. 5. Even a Wimbledon title, which a Brit hasn’t accomplished since Fred Perry in 1936, might not trump it.
“Winning Olympic gold, I don’t know if I’ll ever have the sort of feelings like I had that day,” Murray said. “Winning Olympic gold here, a home Olympics, I’ll never get the opportunity to do that again.
“It was probably one of the proudest moments of my career. I don’t know if I’ll ever top that.”
If Murray wins Wimbledon, he’ll move two steps shy of tennis’ Golden Slam — winning all four majors and the Olympics. It’s a feat only Andre Agassi and Rafael Nadal have checked off in men’s singles. The Bryan brothers have done it in doubles, and, in fact, currently hold all four majors and the Olympic title after their Wimbledon final win Saturday.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT
“I’m like, Michael, 2016, Rio, 50 free, 100 free, just a relay.”
Apr 17, 2015, 3:06 PM EDT
The finals are at 9 p.m. ET on Universal Sports.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
Plushenko wants to compete in a fifth Olympics in 2018.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:29 AM EDT
It took organizers about 20 minutes to figure out what happened Sunday.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:09 AM EDT
“It doesn’t seem like she has served a ban.”
Apr 17, 2015, 8:42 AM EDT
Phelps outdueled Ryan Lochte, but he was slower than last year.
Apr 16, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT
If Phelps is added by FINA, the U.S. might be able to try for podium sweeps at the World Championships.
Apr 16, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Phelps and Ryan Lochte appear headed for a showdown Thursday night.
Apr 16, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
Canada has a shot to qualify for its first Olympics since 2000.
Apr 16, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
“There is no legitimate case for nationality change,” a British official said.
Apr 16, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
See Eugene’s bid video for 2019 that failed to get a taste of what Worlds will be like in the U.S.
Apr 15, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
The gold-medal game will be live on NBCSN.
Apr 15, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
Phelps discussed his time away from swimming during his suspension.
Apr 15, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT
The video states that the swimming stadium is 58 percent complete.
Apr 15, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
The world’s best all-around swimmer competes in Mesa this week.
Apr 14, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
Armstrong explained her comeback on social media.
Apr 14, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT
There’s Michael Phelps, but also much more.
Apr 14, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT
The blue track is for departures, and the red for arrivals.
Apr 13, 2015, 1:52 PM EDT
A swimmer, a boxer, a triathlete and a gymnast all look unbeatable.
Apr 13, 2015, 11:58 AM EDT
Only one woman is currently doing a triple Axel, and none are doing quads.
- Debbie Phelps texted Michael Phelps about Rio 2016 years ago (video) 0
- Yevgeny Plushenko to return to figure skating competition 0
- Michael Phelps back with ‘OK’ victory in Mesa 1
- Michael Phelps could be offered World Championships spot by FINA 0
- Eugene gets 2021 World Track and Field Championships 0
- Michael Phelps accepts missing World Championships, eyes Rio Olympics 0
- Katinka Hosszu emerges from depression to become swimming’s Iron Lady 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)