Jul 1, 2013, 8:30 AM EDT
The Jamaican newspaper that reported Sunday that Yohan Blake will miss the track world championships wrote on Monday that Blake’s handlers will say “whether or not from their perspective he has any chance” of competing at worlds on Tuesday.
The initial report from the Jamaica Observer quoted an unnamed Jamaica athletics official saying, “He is definitely out of the world championship,” and that Blake would have unspecified surgery soon.
That report was quickly denied by Blake’s manager, Cubie Seegobin, who told Reuters and the Jamaica Gleaner, “There is absolutely no discussions or plans for any surgery and I don’t know where that information is coming from. The coach has not yet decided on pulling him from the World Championships.”
At the time, Seegobin did not detail Blake’s chances of competing at worlds in Moscow in August.
The Observer’s Monday report cited Seegobin saying Blake flew to Germany on Wednesday to see a doctor about a “bothersome hamstring.” It”s the same hamstring Blake reportedly tore in April. He missed two months, ran in early June but then pulled out of Jamaica’s trials later last month.
Blake, the 2012 Olympic silver medalist in the 100 and 200 meters, missed his chance to qualify in the 200 for the world championships, but, as reigning world champion, has a wild card into the 100 meters.
If Blake can’t make it to Moscow, Usain Bolt‘s biggest competition will be narrowed to Americans Tyson Gay (100 and 200) and Justin Gatlin (100) and Jamaican Warren Weir (200). The Jamaica 4×100-meter relay team, world champs in 2009 and 2011, would also take a hit, having already lost Asafa Powell, who did not make the worlds roster.
- World Swimming Championships women’s preview 0
- World Swimming Championships men’s preview 2
- Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics; first city to hold Summer and Winter Games 4
- USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues 0
- World Swimming Championships broadcast schedule 0
- Almaty or Beijing? IOC set to choose 2022 Winter Olympic host 2
- Allyson Felix to run 400m at World Championships 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)