Jul 1, 2013, 8:30 AM EDT
Gabby Douglas earned two more honors Sunday, winning the Young Stars award and Sportswoman of the Year at the BET Awards at Hollywood’s Nokia Theater.
Douglas, the third straight U.S. women’s Olympic all-around champion, beat out Olympic gold medalists Serena and Venus Williams and Candace Parker as well as WNBA No. 1 draft pick Brittney Griner for Sportswoman of the Year.
The other Young Stars nominess were R&B artist/actor Jacob Latimore, 16, actress Keke Palmer, 19, actor Jaden Smith, 14, and actress Quvenzhané Wallis, 9.
Douglas, 17, returned to her gym in West Des Moines, Iowa, in May after a post-Olympic break and could return to competition next year. More accolades will pour in before then. She made the cover of July’s issue of Sports Illustrated Kids and was nominated for ESPYs for Best Female Athlete and, with the Fierce Five, Best Team.
Two members of the Olympic champion men’s basketball team also won BET Awards. LeBron James was named Sportsman of the Year, and Dwyane Wade was given a humanitarian award for his Wade’s World Foundation charity.
The BET Awards will be reaired Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. ET on BET.
- Bruce Jenner: I’m a woman; Olympians react 4
- Michael Phelps to move to Arizona with coach Bob Bowman 0
- Simone Biles discusses Martha Karolyi’s team selfie, U.S. teammates, more 0
- Usain Bolt: Tyson Gay’s reduced ban ‘the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard’ 0
- Doug E. Doug reflects on ‘Cool Runnings’ 0
- Nadia Comaneci: Simone Biles’ difficulty is almost equal to men 0
- Ten sports where Brazil can win medals at Rio 2016 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)