Jamaican Williams-Mills ran at Olympics with breast cancer

Jul 1, 2013, 9:00 AM EST

Olympics Day 8 - Athletics Getty Images

Jamaica’s top 400-meter runner revealed publicly that she was diagnosed with breast cancer a year ago in an interview with the Daily Mail.

Novlene Williams-Mills, a 2004 University of Florida graduate, was told she had cancer on June 25, 2012, according to the report.

“It feels like your own body has betrayed you, like I’ve been stabbed,” she told the Daily Mail. “I’m an athlete. I work out, I train. It can’t be possible.”

She won the Jamaican trials six days later and then finished fifth in the Olympic 400-meter final and bagged her third straight bronze medal in the 4×400-meter relay.

“Was it crazy? Yes,” she told the Daily Mail. “That’s everybody’s dream, to run at the Olympics. But I was thinking about my hurdles that I have to come back to fight. I was thinking: ‘Am I going to survive this?’

“My teammates in the relay did not know. But I was standing on the podium, and I didn’t know if I would ever run another race.”

Three days after the Games surgeons removed a small lump in her breast. She then had a double mastectomy, a further operation to cut out the remaining cancerous cells and reconstructive surgery. Her final operation was on January 18.

Williams-Mills compared her struggle to that of actress Angelina Jolie, who also underwent a preventive double mastectomy, an operation which removes all or part of breasts.

It reduced her future risk of cancer from 99 percent to maybe three percent, she told the Daily Mail.

Williams-Mills returned to competition four months after that final operation. She won her seventh Jamaican 400-meter title on June 23, booking her place at August’s world championships in Moscow. The 2007 world bronze medalist is still a medal threat. Her season’s best of 50.01 makes her the fifth-fastest woman this year.

“I’m still one of the top 400m runners in the world and I want to see what I can do,” she told the Daily Mail. “Moscow will be for all the breast cancer survivors out there. I want them to know it’s still possible.”

Conflicting reports on Yohan Blake’s worlds status

Latest Posts
  1. Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture

Nov 22, 2014, 4:24 PM EST

Maksim Kovtun Getty Images

It’s unlikely a U.S. man will qualify for the Grand Prix Final.

2. Renaud Lavillenie, Valerie Adams win IAAF Athlete of the Year awards

Nov 21, 2014, 3:10 PM EST

Renaud Lavillenie Getty Images

This year’s winners came from unprecedented nations and events.

3. Ashley Wagner trails, Denis Ten leads at Trophee Bompard (video)

Nov 21, 2014, 2:24 PM EST

Ashley Wagner AP

Wagner could match a Michelle Kwan feat at the French event.

4. Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed

Nov 21, 2014, 8:59 AM EST

Angelina Jolie, Louis Zamperini AP

“Unbroken” film about Olympian and World War II hero comes out on Christmas.

5. Table tennis player shoves over referee after loss (video)

Nov 20, 2014, 5:34 PM EST

Table Tennis

Young Dmitry Melnichenko lost the match, then lost his cool.

6. Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics

Nov 20, 2014, 4:57 PM EST

Joss Christensen Getty Images

Olympic ski slopestyle champion uses a chainsaw every day.

7. Louie Vito hopes to stand out after missing Olympics

Nov 20, 2014, 3:03 PM EST

Louie Vito Getty Images

Vito thought he had what it took to make the Olympic team, but judges didn’t see it the same way.

8. Claressa Shields wins first World Championships bout in 11 seconds (video)

Nov 19, 2014, 11:30 PM EST

Claressa Shields Getty Images

Olympic champion could face the only woman who beat her in the quarterfinals.

9. Mikaela Shiffrin finishes 15th, 16th in super-Gs in Colorado

Nov 19, 2014, 8:25 PM EST

Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

“I don’t really want to race unless I have a shot at winning.”

10. Vanessa-Mae faces retroactive Olympic ban

Nov 19, 2014, 1:40 PM EST

Vanessa Mae Getty Images

Her name could be “erased from the list of participants,” IOC president said.

11. Rio Olympics to have some morning track and field finals

Nov 19, 2014, 11:29 AM EST

Shalane Flanagan Getty Images

Eight stadium events will have morning finals, a first for Olympic track and field since 1988.

12. IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms

Nov 18, 2014, 4:11 PM EST

Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE

The IOC will vote on 40 proposed changes to the Olympics in December.

13. Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back

Nov 18, 2014, 4:01 PM EST

Ryan Lochte, Michael Phelps Getty Images

Also, Natalie Coughlin said she reached out to Phelps.

14. Ryan Lochte unsure who is world’s best swimmer

Nov 18, 2014, 3:52 PM EST

Ryan Lochte, Kosuke Hagino, Michael Phelps Getty Images

Four years ago, Michael Phelps’ coach said Lochte was the world’s best swimmer.

15. Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona

Nov 18, 2014, 9:23 AM EST

Lamine Diack

U.S. has never hosted the World Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

16. Jennifer Kessy, Emily Day form new beach volleyball partnership

Nov 17, 2014, 4:35 PM EST

Jennifer Kessy Getty Images

Olympic silver medalist’s partner in London was April Ross, who is now with Kerri Walsh Jennings.

17. Bode Miller out until January due to back surgery

Nov 17, 2014, 1:42 PM EST

Bode Miller Getty Images

Miller hopes to return one week before the one storied race he has never won.

18. Peter Forsberg and the Olympics

Nov 17, 2014, 1:16 PM EST

Peter Forsberg Getty Images

Swede being inducted into Hall of Fame authored one of the iconic Olympic moments in 1994.

Yogging a hit at Youth Olympic Games