Jamaican Williams-Mills ran at Olympics with breast cancer

Jul 1, 2013, 9:00 AM EST

Olympics Day 8 - Athletics Getty Images

Jamaica’s top 400-meter runner revealed publicly that she was diagnosed with breast cancer a year ago in an interview with the Daily Mail.

Novlene Williams-Mills, a 2004 University of Florida graduate, was told she had cancer on June 25, 2012, according to the report.

“It feels like your own body has betrayed you, like I’ve been stabbed,” she told the Daily Mail. “I’m an athlete. I work out, I train. It can’t be possible.”

She won the Jamaican trials six days later and then finished fifth in the Olympic 400-meter final and bagged her third straight bronze medal in the 4×400-meter relay.

“Was it crazy? Yes,” she told the Daily Mail. “That’s everybody’s dream, to run at the Olympics. But I was thinking about my hurdles that I have to come back to fight. I was thinking: ‘Am I going to survive this?’

“My teammates in the relay did not know. But I was standing on the podium, and I didn’t know if I would ever run another race.”

Three days after the Games surgeons removed a small lump in her breast. She then had a double mastectomy, a further operation to cut out the remaining cancerous cells and reconstructive surgery. Her final operation was on January 18.

Williams-Mills compared her struggle to that of actress Angelina Jolie, who also underwent a preventive double mastectomy, an operation which removes all or part of breasts.

It reduced her future risk of cancer from 99 percent to maybe three percent, she told the Daily Mail.

Williams-Mills returned to competition four months after that final operation. She won her seventh Jamaican 400-meter title on June 23, booking her place at August’s world championships in Moscow. The 2007 world bronze medalist is still a medal threat. Her season’s best of 50.01 makes her the fifth-fastest woman this year.

“I’m still one of the top 400m runners in the world and I want to see what I can do,” she told the Daily Mail. “Moscow will be for all the breast cancer survivors out there. I want them to know it’s still possible.”

Conflicting reports on Yohan Blake’s worlds status

Latest Posts
  1. Boston Marathon finish line shoveled by Ironman triathlete

Jan 28, 2015, 3:23 PM EST

Boston Marathon finish line shoveled

“I only did it to send a message,” shoveler said.

2. K.C. Boutiette returns to World Cup speed skating for first time since 2006

Jan 28, 2015, 2:02 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

An Olympic legend helped convince him to come back, possibly for the 2018 Olympics.

3. Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season

Jan 27, 2015, 4:14 PM EST

Tori Bowie Getty Images

Bowie may try to make the World Championships team in three individual events.

4. Yohan Blake details ‘dreams’ for 2015

Jan 27, 2015, 2:37 PM EST

Yohan Blake Getty Images

Once Usain Bolt’s top rival, the Jamaican is returning from a second major injury in as many years.

5. Lance Armstrong on forgiveness: ‘We’re getting close to that time’

Jan 26, 2015, 2:41 PM EST

AP AP

Armstrong touched on many topics in a BBC interview.

6. Martina Hingis eyes Rio Olympics

Jan 26, 2015, 10:58 AM EST

Martina Hingis Getty Images

Could Hingis return to Olympic tennis, 20 years after her only Olympic appearance?

7. South Korean Olympic swim champ Park Tae-hwan fails drug test

Jan 26, 2015, 8:41 AM EST

Park Tae-hwan Getty Images

Park’s management agency cited “an illegal injection administered by a local doctor.”

8. Jason Brown wins first U.S. figure skating title

Jan 25, 2015, 9:48 PM EST

AP AP

Brown is the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.

9. Sage Kotsenburg, Jamie Anderson beaten in Winter X Games slopestyle

Jan 25, 2015, 7:35 PM EST

Sage Kotsenburg Getty Images

Instead, past Winter X Games champions prevailed in Aspen.

10. WATCH LIVE: U.S. Figure Skating Championships men’s free skate — 4 p.m. ET

Jan 25, 2015, 3:00 PM EST

Jason Brown Getty Images

Jason Brown tries to become the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.

11. WATCH LIVE: ‘Lindsey Vonn: The Climb’ documentary — 3 p.m. ET

Jan 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

Lindsey Vonn

An inside look at the skier’s comeback from two major knee surgeries.

12. Lindsey Vonn wins final race before World Championships (video)

Jan 25, 2015, 7:36 AM EST

AP AP

Vonn captured victory No. 64 in St. Moritz, Switzerland.

13. Ashley Wagner shatters records for third U.S. figure skating title

Jan 24, 2015, 11:50 PM EST

Ashley Wagner Getty Images

Wagner becomes the oldest women’s champion since Michelle Kwan.

14. Chloe Kim wins Winter X Games halfpipe at age 14

Jan 24, 2015, 9:15 PM EST

Chloe Kim Getty Images

Kim outdueled the greatest snowboarder of all time.

15. WATCH LIVE: U.S. Figure Skating Championships — 8 p.m. ET

Jan 24, 2015, 7:00 PM EST

AP AP

Gracie Gold wants to deny history for Ashley Wagner.

16. WATCH LIVE: U.S. Figure Skating Championships — 3 p.m. ET

Jan 24, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

Maia Shibutani, Alex Shibutani Getty Images

Pairs free skate and free dance national titles to be awarded.

17. Lindsey Vonn struggles in St. Moritz downhill (video)

Jan 24, 2015, 6:23 AM EST

AP AP

Vonn missed an opportunity to all but clinch the World Cup season downhill title.

18. Jason Brown leads U.S. short program; quad debate stoked

Jan 23, 2015, 11:58 PM EST

Jason Brown

Brown is poised to become the youngest U.S. men’s champion in 11 years.

19. Lindsey Jacobellis wins ninth Winter X Games title

Jan 23, 2015, 3:12 PM EST

Lindsey Jacobellis Getty Images

Jacobellis has now won 13 gold medals in 18 major championships.