Michael Phelps repeats he has no comeback plans

Jun 30, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT

OLY-2016-BRAZIL-US-PHELPS Getty Images

Michael Phelps says he’s still retired, despite recent reports insinuating a comeback before the Rio Olympics and more definite comments from Ryan Lochte.

Phelps, the 22-time Olympic medalist who turned 28 on Sunday, told the Baltimore Sun he hasn’t thought about unretiring.

His comments to the newspaper were more concrete than his previous statements at a California speaker series event and in an interview with a German outlet.

Panda Express helps boy realize Make A Wish to meet Phelps

“Man, people will believe anything that’s written, anything that’s on TV,” Phelps said. “There’s nothing in the works with me coming back to swimming. This is a part of my life I’m enjoying. I’ve never had freedom like this. I live on my own time. I play golf three or four times a week. I wake up whenever I want. I have a few things to do here and there, but mostly my time is mine. I’m not thinking about changing that.”

At last week’s swimming nationals, Lochte reiterated his stance that Phelps will return and make a bid for a fifth Olympic Games in 2016.

“I think we all know by now that he’s coming back,” Lochte told USA Today. “I don’t think it’s really a surprise. It’s just a matter of when is he going to get back in the full swing of training.”

Phelps’ coach, Bob Bowman, had a different view.

“As far as the comeback, I think I’ll be the first to know, and I don’t know anything,” he told USA Today.

Phelps has two years left before he would have to re-enter the drug-testing pool for a Rio comeback, but at this point, his comments to the Baltimore Sun make that nothing more than a dream.

“Honestly, I haven’t thought about it,” he said. “I want to help grow the sport, and there are other ways to do it. My life, the way it is now, is great.”

Latest Posts
  1. Australian women break 4x100m free relay world record

Jul 24, 2014, 4:57 PM EDT

Cate Campbell Getty Images

How it impacts the U.S. and potential Olympic history for Missy Franklin.

2. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross clicking ahead of World Series of Beach Volleyball

Jul 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

Kerri Walsh Getty Images

U.S. pair is top seed at biggest tournament in the U.S. this year.

3. Mo Farah withdraws from Commonwealth Games

Jul 24, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT

Mo Farah AP

Lingering illness keeps Olympic, World champion from competing.

4. Queen photobombs Commonwealth Games athlete selfie

Jul 24, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT

Jayde Taylor

Australian field hockey player’s photo goes viral.

5. Japan’s prime minister wants to hold Robot Olympics in 2020

Jul 23, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT

Mideast Iran RoboCup AP

Hopes to create a “robotic revolution.”

6. Brazil eyes 27 to 30 medals at Rio Olympics

Jul 23, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT

2012 Olympic Games - Opening Ceremony Getty Images

Brazil has never won more than 17 medals at an Olympics.

7. USOC to meet with leaders from 2024 Olympic bid candidate cities

Jul 23, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT

USOC logo Getty Images

Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington D.C. in the running.

8. London Olympic cauldron plagiarism dispute settled

Jul 23, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT

London Olympic Cauldron Getty Images

LOCOG acknowledges U.S. firm submitted designs that ended up being part of the cauldron.

9. Stella McCartney to design Rio 2016 uniforms for Great Britain

Jul 23, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT

Stella McCartney Getty Images

Fashion star also created Team GB kits for London 2012.

10. Vin Baker’s gold medal from 2000 Olympics set for auction

Jul 23, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT

Vin Baker Getty Images

Opening bid much higher than final price for another Olympic basketball medal.

11. Usain Bolt not happy with Tyson Gay’s reduced ban

Jul 22, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT

Olympics Day 15 - Athletics Getty Images

“It is sending a bad message,” Bolt said.

12. Gabby Douglas helps girl’s dream come true with Make-A-Wish

Jul 22, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT

Gabby Douglas

Amarissa, 13, is a former gymnast who suffers from lupus.

13. David Boudia ponders a third diving event leading to 2016

Jul 22, 2014, 12:24 PM EDT

David Boudia Getty Images

Olympic champion finished his season in Shanghai last week.

14. Guide to the Commonwealth Games

Jul 22, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

Top sprinters from Jamaica, swimmers from Australia and more gather in Glasgow.

15. First Olympic golf qualification rankings released

Jul 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT

Rory McIlroy AP

U.S. stars would not make the Olympic field if it was determined today.

16. Big 12 commissioner says men’s Olympic sports could be cut

Jul 21, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT

Bob Bowlsby AP

NCAA’s current lawsuits may cut funding.

17. Dutch cyclist cheats death twice, avoids both Malaysian Airlines flights

Jul 21, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT

Maarten de Jonge `

“It’s inconceivable,” Maarten de Jonge said.