Michael Phelps repeats he has no comeback plans

Jun 30, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT

OLY-2016-BRAZIL-US-PHELPS Getty Images

Michael Phelps says he’s still retired, despite recent reports insinuating a comeback before the Rio Olympics and more definite comments from Ryan Lochte.

Phelps, the 22-time Olympic medalist who turned 28 on Sunday, told the Baltimore Sun he hasn’t thought about unretiring.

His comments to the newspaper were more concrete than his previous statements at a California speaker series event and in an interview with a German outlet.

Panda Express helps boy realize Make A Wish to meet Phelps

“Man, people will believe anything that’s written, anything that’s on TV,” Phelps said. “There’s nothing in the works with me coming back to swimming. This is a part of my life I’m enjoying. I’ve never had freedom like this. I live on my own time. I play golf three or four times a week. I wake up whenever I want. I have a few things to do here and there, but mostly my time is mine. I’m not thinking about changing that.”

At last week’s swimming nationals, Lochte reiterated his stance that Phelps will return and make a bid for a fifth Olympic Games in 2016.

“I think we all know by now that he’s coming back,” Lochte told USA Today. “I don’t think it’s really a surprise. It’s just a matter of when is he going to get back in the full swing of training.”

Phelps’ coach, Bob Bowman, had a different view.

“As far as the comeback, I think I’ll be the first to know, and I don’t know anything,” he told USA Today.

Phelps has two years left before he would have to re-enter the drug-testing pool for a Rio comeback, but at this point, his comments to the Baltimore Sun make that nothing more than a dream.

“Honestly, I haven’t thought about it,” he said. “I want to help grow the sport, and there are other ways to do it. My life, the way it is now, is great.”

Latest Posts
  1. Katie Ledecky entered in mixed-gender races this weekend

Oct 31, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT

Katie Ledecky Getty Images

Ledecky, and other women, are entered in mixed-gender distance races in Delaware.

2. Javier Fernandez leads at Skate Canada; surprise American scores

Oct 31, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT

Javier Fernandez Getty Images

The top U.S. man on Friday finished 10th at the U.S. Championships in January.

3. Boston, Chicago Marathon winner Rita Jeptoo fails drug test

Oct 31, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT

Rita Jeptoo Getty Images

The Kenyan won four straight World Marathon Majors.

4. Neymar will be on Brazil’s Olympic soccer team, coach says

Oct 31, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT

Neymar Getty Images

But Neymar’s status for Rio 2016 is still very much in question.

5. Meb Keflezighi in familiar spot as New York City Marathon underdog

Oct 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT

Meb Keflezighi AP

Keflezighi faces tough odds to win Sunday, just as in Boston.

6. USA Swimming names World Championships roster without Michael Phelps

Oct 30, 2014, 2:23 PM EDT

Ryan Lochte Getty Images

The U.S. roster includes zero men who had the fastest time in the world this year in an Olympic event.

7. Yuna Kim named Pyeongchang 2018 Olympic honorary ambassador

Oct 30, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT

Yuna Kim Getty Images

Figure skating champion joins MLB outfielder, ballerina.

8. Matt Anderson taking break from volleyball due to depression

Oct 29, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT

Matt Anderson

Anderson is the two-time reigning USA Volleyball Player of the Year.

9. Caroline Wozniacki nervous for New York City Marathon, even in her dreams

Oct 29, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT

Caroline Wozniacki Getty Images

Tennis player flew from Singapore to Denmark to New York this week.

10. Fire inside London Olympic Stadium (photos)

Oct 29, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT

Olympic Stadium

Rising black smoke caused brief panic, but the fire was quickly put out.

11. Shani Davis leads U.S. speed skating team for fall World Cups

Oct 29, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT

Shani Davis Getty Images

One of the U.S.’ strongest skaters from last season is not on the team.

12. Paralympic skier Josh Sundquist a foosball player for Halloween

Oct 28, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT

Josh Sundquist

Sundquist was a partially eaten gingerbread man, a leg lamp and a flamingo in recent years.

13. Germany will bid for 2024 Olympics

Oct 28, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT

Germany flag Getty Images

Either Berlin or Hamburg will be chosen in March.

14. Boston 2024 unveils new website, promo video

Oct 28, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT

Boston 2024

Those against Boston hosting an Olympics sent a letter to the USOC.

15. Rio Olympic golf course given deadline to decide on moving 3 holes

Oct 28, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT

Rio Olympic golf course AP

Judge rules in lawsuit over environmental concerns.