Michael Phelps repeats he has no comeback plans

Jun 30, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT

OLY-2016-BRAZIL-US-PHELPS Getty Images

Michael Phelps says he’s still retired, despite recent reports insinuating a comeback before the Rio Olympics and more definite comments from Ryan Lochte.

Phelps, the 22-time Olympic medalist who turned 28 on Sunday, told the Baltimore Sun he hasn’t thought about unretiring.

His comments to the newspaper were more concrete than his previous statements at a California speaker series event and in an interview with a German outlet.

Panda Express helps boy realize Make A Wish to meet Phelps

“Man, people will believe anything that’s written, anything that’s on TV,” Phelps said. “There’s nothing in the works with me coming back to swimming. This is a part of my life I’m enjoying. I’ve never had freedom like this. I live on my own time. I play golf three or four times a week. I wake up whenever I want. I have a few things to do here and there, but mostly my time is mine. I’m not thinking about changing that.”

At last week’s swimming nationals, Lochte reiterated his stance that Phelps will return and make a bid for a fifth Olympic Games in 2016.

“I think we all know by now that he’s coming back,” Lochte told USA Today. “I don’t think it’s really a surprise. It’s just a matter of when is he going to get back in the full swing of training.”

Phelps’ coach, Bob Bowman, had a different view.

“As far as the comeback, I think I’ll be the first to know, and I don’t know anything,” he told USA Today.

Phelps has two years left before he would have to re-enter the drug-testing pool for a Rio comeback, but at this point, his comments to the Baltimore Sun make that nothing more than a dream.

“Honestly, I haven’t thought about it,” he said. “I want to help grow the sport, and there are other ways to do it. My life, the way it is now, is great.”

Latest Posts
  1. Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte split duels in Mesa

Apr 18, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT

AP AP

Katie Ledecky also flirted with a world record.

2. Boston Marathon preview: Can Meb Keflezighi repeat?

Apr 18, 2015, 10:17 AM EDT

Meb Keflezighi AP

The U.S. appears to have a better shot in the women’s race.

3. Michael Phelps jokingly challenges Katie Ledecky to race

Apr 18, 2015, 9:09 AM EDT

AP AP

Phelps has raced against a record-breaking woman before.

4. Debbie Phelps texted Michael Phelps about Rio 2016 years ago (video)

Apr 17, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT

Debbie Phelps Getty Images

“I’m like, Michael, 2016, Rio, 50 free, 100 free, just a relay.”

5. Michael Phelps, Katie Ledecky tie in 400m freestyle

Apr 17, 2015, 3:06 PM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

The finals are at 9 p.m. ET on Universal Sports.

6. Yevgeny Plushenko to return to figure skating competition

Apr 17, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT

Evgeni Plushenko AP

Plushenko wants to compete in a fifth Olympics in 2018.

7. St. Louis Marathon disqualifies woman who crossed finish line first

Apr 17, 2015, 10:29 AM EDT

St. Louis Marathon

It took organizers about 20 minutes to figure out what happened Sunday.

8. Jessica Ennis-Hill wants gold medal upgrade after rival’s doping

Apr 17, 2015, 9:09 AM EDT

Jessica Ennis-Hill Getty Images

“It doesn’t seem like she has served a ban.”

9. Michael Phelps back with ‘OK’ victory in Mesa

Apr 17, 2015, 8:42 AM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps outdueled Ryan Lochte, but he was slower than last year.

10. Michael Phelps could be offered World Championships spot by FINA

Apr 16, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT

AP AP

If Phelps is added by FINA, the U.S. might be able to try for podium sweeps at the World Championships.

11. Michael Phelps fastest in first race since August

Apr 16, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT

AP AP

Phelps and Ryan Lochte appear headed for a showdown Thursday night.

12. Andrew Wiggins to play for Canada in Olympic qualifying

Apr 16, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT

Andrew Wiggins Getty Images

Canada has a shot to qualify for its first Olympics since 2000.

13. Aaron Cook, top-ranked taekwondo fighter, switches from Great Britain to Moldova

Apr 16, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

“There is no legitimate case for nationality change,” a British official said.

14. Eugene gets 2021 World Track and Field Championships

Apr 16, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT

Prefontaine Classic Getty Images

See Eugene’s bid video for 2019 that failed to get a taste of what Worlds will be like in the U.S.

15. Michael Phelps accepts missing World Championships, eyes Rio Olympics

Apr 15, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps discussed his time away from swimming during his suspension.

16. Watch Rio Olympic park construction progress video

Apr 15, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT

Rio Olympic Park

The video states that the swimming stadium is 58 percent complete.

17. Kristin Armstrong ends cycling retirement

Apr 14, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT

Kristin Armstrong Getty Images

Armstrong explained her comeback on social media.

18. Four storylines to watch at Pro Swim Series at Mesa

Apr 14, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT

Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte Getty Images

There’s Michael Phelps, but also much more.