Jun 29, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
Nick Symmonds is at it again.
The Paris Hilton-dating, tattoo-sponsorship-displaying, beer mile-running U.S. Olympian offered a tip to improve track and field’s popularity while at the Edmonton International Track Classic on Saturday.
On the track, Symmonds, 28, edged fellow 2012 Olympian Duane Solomon in the 800 meters. Symmonds won in 1 minute, 44.86 seconds, .05 better than Solomon. It was Solomon who beat out Symmonds by .13 for fourth place in the blazing fast 800 at the London Olympics.
Symmonds complimented the Edmonton meet but believes the sport can do more to lure fans. Here’s what he told the Edmonton Journal:
“Look at Zurich (the Weltklasse meet on the IAAF’s major-league Diamond League circuit). I would argue that it’s the greatest non-championship meeting in the world. You walk in, you get a booklet with all the stats and odds for all the athletes. You go to (a betting kiosk) and put down (on an athlete) and you’ve got a horse in the race.
“Maybe you pick an underdog, and you’re cheering as hard for that underdog as you’d be cheering for (Jamaican superstar Usain) Bolt out there.
“Because, if you’ve got a little bit invested in there, it’s a lot more fun, carefree attitude. Let’s not make track and field this serious thing where you feel intimidated by the athletes, you’re out there haveing fun with them.”
In other notable results from the Edmonton meet, Lolo Jones took the 100 hurdles in 12.49, 2012 Olympic bronze medalist Warren Weir won the 200 in 19.90, and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ Jeff Demps was third in the 100 in 10.02, all wind-aided times.
More tips from Symmonds:
“Pop culture has a short attention span and likes booze and gambling. Why don’t we give ‘em an abbreviated meet — like this meet is perfect. It’s two-and-a-half hours with something always going on.
“I’m about as diehard a track fan as you’re going to find and I don’t want to sit out under the sun for eight hours to watch a really slow, poorly run track meet.
“I certainly don’t want to do it on a Saturday afternoon without a beer in my hand.”
- U.S. teams sweep World Series of Beach Volleyball (video) 0
- UPDATE: Noelle Pikus-Pace’s brother and his children found in Idaho 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross make WSOBV final 0
- Usain Bolt arrives in Glasgow, says he’s injury free 0
- Queen photobombs Commonwealth Games athlete selfie 0
- Brazil eyes 27 to 30 medals at Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt not happy with Tyson Gay’s reduced ban 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)