Jun 25, 2013, 9:26 AM EDT
The IOC Evaluation Commission released a 110-page report Tuesday detailing the three potential host cities for the 2020 Olympics – Tokyo, Istanbul, and Madrid – and looking at everything from the city’s vision for the Games, to safety and security, finances, transportation, and media operations.
“The Evaluation Commission made sure to produce a report that we feel is an accurate, objective, and fair assessment of each of the three Candidate Cities,” Commission Chairman Sir Craig Reedie said of the evaluation process.
“We are indeed very pleased with the quality of each bid and it is clear that the IOC members will have a difficult choice to make this September in Buenos Aires.”
The Commission visited the three cities for four days each this past March before writing their up their official report, which the full IOC membership will pore over before the 2020 Candidate Cities Briefing at the IOC Headquarters in Lausanne on July 3 and 4. Then the group will meet again on September 7 in Buenos Aires to hear the cities presentations before a final vote.
And while this process officially started back in May 2011 when the IOC asked for its national organizations to nominate hosts for the Games, for some Olympic officials this process dates all the way back to the late 1980s: this Istanbul’s fifth bid for the Olympics in the last six cycles.
Aug 23, 2014, 8:28 AM EDT
Ledecky beat her own mark in the 400m freestyle.
Aug 23, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
FIVB Men’s World Championship begins in one week.
Aug 23, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT
“It’s something that’s so outlandish that I think it actually might work,” coach says.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
Finals at 5 a.m. ET.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:22 PM EDT
Orozco is looking to win his second U.S. all-around title in three years.
Aug 22, 2014, 6:47 PM EDT
Douglas and Biles became fast friends rooming together in June.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
U.S. coach noticed a bent, old bike and decided something had to be done.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
U.S. women undefeated in six games so far.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
U.S. had to come from behind in both relays.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
Finals at 5 a.m. ET on Friday.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
Olympian Kyla Ross struggled.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Olympic champion swimmer posts Instagram videos.
Aug 21, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
A U.S. Summer Olympic Opening Ceremony flag bearer hasn’t won individual Olympic gold since 1960.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
Four past U.S. all-around champions are in the field in Pittsburgh.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Also, a rare defeat for Olympic pole vault champion.
Aug 21, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Olympic all-around champion says she’ll stay in Columbus through 2016 Olympics.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
Ledecky nearly broke another world record.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
NBA legends channeled; Olympic silver medalist on judging panel.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:49 AM EDT
Ukrainian’s error costs Moldovan teammate a shot at the podium.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
U.S. star first suffered back spasms at Tuesday practice.
- Katie Ledecky breaks world record, Michael Phelps wins at Pan Pacs 0
- John Orozco’s mom on his mind as he leads P&G Championships 0
- Bond between Gabby Douglas, Simone Biles 0
- Michael Phelps, Missy Franklin 4th in 100 free, win Pan Pacs relay golds 0
- Simone Biles dominates to open P&G Championships 0
- Amy Van Dyken-Rouen stands, walks with assistance for first time since accident (video) 3
- Sam Mikulak leads one of most decorated P&G Championships fields ever 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)