Jun 22, 2013, 1:06 AM EDT
The world track and field championships in Moscow are just seven weeks away now, and six-time Olympics champ and “fastest man alive” Usain Bolt wants to be a factor, he’s going to have to start picking up the pace a little bit.
Bolt ran a respectable 9.94 seconds in the 100m to win the Jamaican nationals in Kingston Friday, but his time would have only been good enough for third in Des Moines, as Tyson Gay ran a worlds best of 9.75 and Justin Gatlin, who beat Bolt in Rome a few weeks back, ran 9.89 on Friday.
“It’s all about getting through and getting it done and that’s what I did,” Bolt explained to reporters after the finals Friday night. “I’ve got a lot more work to do. As long as the coach is not worried, I’m not worried.”
Bolt rarely gets out of the blocks very quickly, and once again said his “execution wasn’t the best.” But he also didn’t have a whole lot pushing him after national teammate and defending world champ Yohan Blake sat out the race with a hamstring injury. Blake, who beat Bolt in both the 100m and 200m last year at nationals, will be back in time for Moscow, though, as he gets an automatic bid for worlds.
Sep 23, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
USA Swimming Olympic Trials time standards reveal Ledecky’s greatness.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Board already included former NFL commissioner.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Doug Ulman calls last two years “most stressful” period of his life.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT
Olympic champion’s scheduled Grand Prix events are in November.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT
Chinese Olympic champion evens head to head with Japan’s rising star in Incheon.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Canadians not ruling out return to ice dancing.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Raty nearly did something two Canadian Olympic women’s goalies couldn’t do against the men.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:41 PM EDT
U.S. women must cut one more player before FIBA World Championships.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
London Games voted No. 1 overall.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT
Figure skater to be questioned over doping by her ex-boyfriend, Olympic champ race walker.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
World’s greatest swimmer on display at Asian Games.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
Lead cyclist hits fence, trailing cyclist breaks pelvis.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Upset of dynastic Brazil sets off bedlam inside arena, outside streets for host nation.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:35 AM EDT
Walsh Jennings, Ross played with interesting keys looped through chains Sunday.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:08 AM EDT
Uzbekistan gymnast has competed at World Championships since 1991.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:48 AM EDT
Ledecky broke five world records in two months this year.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
“I would be 36 for Rio. That’s probably just getting on a bit too much.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
Spearmon lost a 2008 Olympic medal due to disqualification and finished fourth in the 2012 Olympic 200m.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
Komova won Olympic all-around silver behind Gabby Douglas.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT
There was concern Olympic host nation wouldn’t be able to qualify in hockey.
- Katie Ledecky would qualify for Olympic Trials in men’s events 0
- Kosuke Hagino: I’m trying to become like Michael Phelps 0
- Poland wins World Volleyball Championship at home, pandemonium (photos, videos) 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross complete perfect AVP season after wardrobe malfunction 0
- Katie Ledecky wins USA Swimming Athlete of the Year; who are World Swimmers of the Year? 0
- Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months 0
- Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)