Jun 21, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
Now that 2010 Team USA Hockey general manager Brian Burke is out of the running to lead the squad into this year’s Games, TSN’s Bob McKenzie believes the post is likely to go to Nashville Predators GM David Poile when the staff is announced in New York City next Saturday.
Poile served as Team USA’s GM in 1998 and ’99, and served as Burke’s assistant at the Vancouver Games, where the team took silver after losing to Canada in overtime of the gold medal game.
Poile is also the only GM the Predators have had in their fifteen years, and has been credited with creating a competitive team with a limited budget and market. And despite his success at the last Olympics, it was the fact that Burke was fired from his job as GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs earlier this year that ultimately knocked him out of consideration.
Of course, there’s still no deal in place for the pros to play in Sochi yet, but regular reports suggest that the IOC, IIHF, NHL, and NHLPA are getting closer to signing something every day. Stay tuned.
- Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte split duels in Mesa 0
- Boston Marathon preview: Can Meb Keflezighi repeat? 0
- Michael Phelps jokingly challenges Katie Ledecky to race 1
- Debbie Phelps texted Michael Phelps about Rio 2016 years ago (video) 0
- Yevgeny Plushenko to return to figure skating competition 1
- Michael Phelps back with ‘OK’ victory in Mesa 1
- Michael Phelps could be offered World Championships spot by FINA 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)