Bradley Wiggins might be done with Tour de France

Jun 21, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT

Bernard Papon/Presse Sports via US PRESSWIRE Bernard Papon/Presse Sports via US PRESSWIRE

After Bradley Wiggins gave British cycling fans (read: roughly the whole nation) the thrill of their sporting year by winning the Tour de France and then taking gold at the Olympics a couple weeks later, most hoped the newly knighted Sir would go on to continue dominating the sport in 2013.

But a knee injury and a recent illness has derailed Wiggins’s 2013 Tour de France title defense before it began, and now the famous road cyclist has told Britain’s Sky TV that he doesn’t know if he’s willing to put in the training for another Tour.

“For me it was always about winning the Tour,” the seven-time Olympic medalist explained Friday. “I’ve done that. If I’m honest I don’t think I’m prepared to make those sacrifices again that I made last year, with my family and so on. I’ve achieved what I’ve achieved. I’m incredibly happy with that.

“If I do anything else after this it will be stuff I want to do, stuff that I’m willing to train hard and sacrifice for really. For me it was always about winning the Tour, that was a huge thing for me, a huge journey; I’ve been doing that four years. I don’t know if I’d want to go through all that again to be honest. I’ve always had other goals and there are other things I’d like to try and do.”

Despite the injury, Wiggins is already back on his bike training for the Tour of Poland, the Tour of Britain, and the world championships in Florence, Italy while he continues to get treatments on his knee.

Latest Posts
  1. Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months

Sep 19, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT

Wallace Spearmon Getty Images

Spearmon lost a 2008 Olympic medal due to disqualification and finished fourth in the 2012 Olympic 200m.

2. Viktoria Komova out of World Gymnastics Championships, report says

Sep 19, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT

Viktoria Komova Getty Images

Komova won Olympic all-around silver behind Gabby Douglas.

3. South Korea hockey teams given spots in 2018 Olympics

Sep 19, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT

South Korea hockey Getty Images

There was concern Olympic host nation wouldn’t be able to qualify in hockey.

4. Carolina Kostner skips hearing in ex-boyfriend’s doping case

Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 AM EDT

Carolina Kostner Getty Images

Olympic medalist skater could be called in for later hearing.

5. Jens Voigt bikes 31.7 miles in 1 hour, breaks record

Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT

Jens Voigt Getty Images

Three-time Olympian rides into retirement by entering history books.

6. Rio Olympic Village more than 50 percent complete

Sep 18, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT

Rio Olympic Village

Work expected to finish in the first half of 2016.

7. Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards

Sep 18, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

NBC Olympics analyst hands out athlete of the year honors and more.

8. Yelena Isinbayeva set to return to pole vault training, report says

Sep 18, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Yelena Isinbayeva Getty Images

Russian Olympic champion gave birth to daughter in June.

9. Analyzing the U.S. gymnastics women’s World Championships team

Sep 18, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Simone Biles, Kyla Ross Getty Images

Can U.S. win second straight team title despite injuries, absences?

10. Edmonton Oilers hire Olympic pairs champion as skating coach

Sep 17, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT

David Pelletier Getty Images

Canadian from memorable 2002 Olympic pairs competition to coach NHL players.

11. Kaitlyn Farrington, Olympic halfpipe champ, eyes slopestyle at Dew Tour

Sep 17, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT

Kaitlyn Farrington Getty Images

Olympic halfpipe champion is focused on two competitions this season.

12. Curling sculpture unveiled at Olympic Museum (photos)

Sep 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Curling statue

Curling is the first Winter Olympic sport to have a sculpture in the Olympic Museum park.

13. Paula Radcliffe set for first race since pulling out of London Olympics

Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT

Paula Radcliffe Getty Images

World record holder, now 40, could enter two more major marathons.

14. Hicham El Guerrouj, King of the Mile, could still run fast at 40

Sep 17, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT

Hicham El Guerrouj Getty Images

Two-time Olympic champion runs five or six times per week.

15. Shaun White ‘more motivated’ to compete than before Sochi

Sep 17, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Shaun White Getty Images

Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion “more poised” for slopestyle success in 2018.

16. Lolo Jones eliminated from ‘Dancing with the Stars’

Sep 17, 2014, 8:41 AM EDT

Lolo Jones Getty Images

Jones posted she had “flashbacks of the three Olympics and that people constantly tease me about.”

17. Rio Olympic ticket prices start at about $20 in Brazil

Sep 16, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT

Rio 2016

More than 7.5 million tickets will be available for the Games.

18. Kohei Uchimura’s mother competes in gymnastics meet

Sep 16, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT

Kohei Uchimura Getty Images

Shuko Uchimura hadn’t competed in some 30 years, according to Japanese report.