Bradley Wiggins might be done with Tour de France

Jun 21, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT

Bernard Papon/Presse Sports via US PRESSWIRE Bernard Papon/Presse Sports via US PRESSWIRE

After Bradley Wiggins gave British cycling fans (read: roughly the whole nation) the thrill of their sporting year by winning the Tour de France and then taking gold at the Olympics a couple weeks later, most hoped the newly knighted Sir would go on to continue dominating the sport in 2013.

But a knee injury and a recent illness has derailed Wiggins’s 2013 Tour de France title defense before it began, and now the famous road cyclist has told Britain’s Sky TV that he doesn’t know if he’s willing to put in the training for another Tour.

“For me it was always about winning the Tour,” the seven-time Olympic medalist explained Friday. “I’ve done that. If I’m honest I don’t think I’m prepared to make those sacrifices again that I made last year, with my family and so on. I’ve achieved what I’ve achieved. I’m incredibly happy with that.

“If I do anything else after this it will be stuff I want to do, stuff that I’m willing to train hard and sacrifice for really. For me it was always about winning the Tour, that was a huge thing for me, a huge journey; I’ve been doing that four years. I don’t know if I’d want to go through all that again to be honest. I’ve always had other goals and there are other things I’d like to try and do.”

Despite the injury, Wiggins is already back on his bike training for the Tour of Poland, the Tour of Britain, and the world championships in Florence, Italy while he continues to get treatments on his knee.

Latest Posts
  1. Evan Lysacek: ‘My career is coming to an end’

Sep 2, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT

Evan Lysacek Getty Images

Olympic champ figure skater yet to make official decision, but shows which way he is leaning.

2. Usain Bolt takes on all questions in India

Sep 2, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT

Usain Bolt AP

Would he rather race fast cars or cheetahs?

3. Marlies Schild retires; impact on Mikaela Shiffrin

Sep 2, 2014, 7:41 AM EDT

Marlies Schild, Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

Schild won silver behind Shiffrin in Sochi and is one of her idols.

4. Carl Lewis becomes full-time University of Houston track coach

Sep 1, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT

Carl Lewis AP

Lewis joins staff with two other Olympic sprint medalists.

5. Berlin, Hamburg submit Olympic bid intentions

Sep 1, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT

Germany flag Getty Images

Germany is the latest rival to a potential U.S. Olympic bid in 2024.

6. African wrestlers out of World Championships due to Ebola travel restrictions

Sep 1, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT

Wrestling Getty Images

Seven from Nigeria, two from Sierra Leone out due to Uzbekistan’s restrictions.

7. Haley Anderson wins Pan Pacs open-water 10K by .01 after jellyfish sting, move to Maui

Sep 1, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT

Haley Anderson Getty Images

Olympic silver medalist swam three days after suffering allergic reaction to jellyfish sting.

8. Gwen Jorgensen wins World Championship in triathlon

Aug 30, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT

Gwen Jorgensen Rich Cruse/USA Triathlon

American overcame a 69-second deficit, passing 19 women on the 10km run to cap dominating season.

9. Henry Cejudo withdraws on eve of UFC fight debut

Aug 29, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT

Henry Cejudo Getty Images

Olympic champion cites “medical reasons” hours before weigh-in.

10. How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics

Aug 29, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT

James Harden Getty Images

Statistically, the U.S. might be better off not winning in Spain in the Olympic scope.

11. Kayla Harrison wins bronze at World Judo Championships

Aug 29, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT

Kayla Harrison Getty Images

Olympic champion missed 2013 Worlds after knee surgery.

12. Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton

Aug 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Gwen Jorgensen Getty Images

An accountant five years ago, triathlete is dominating after Olympic disappointment.

13. Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video)

Aug 28, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT

Tyson Gay

Allyson Felix, David Rudisha beaten in first of two Diamond League finals meets.

14. Man with cerebral palsy towed through Ironman by twin brother

Aug 28, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT

tvilling

Steen and Peder Mondrup completed the Ironman Copenhagen in 15 hours.

15. Youth Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo (photos)

Aug 28, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT

Closing Ceremony

Olympic Flag handed over to Buenos Aires, host of 2018 Youth Olympics.

16. Rio Olympics volunteer registration opens

Aug 28, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT

Rio 2016 Olympics Getty Images

Officials looking for 70,000 people over the Olympics and Paralympics.

17. Yao Ming reflects on Beijing 2008 at Youth Olympics (video)

Aug 27, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT

Yao Ming, Lewis Johnson

Chinese basketball star also updates on what he’s been doing in retirement.

18. Thomas Bach hopes mixed-gender events in Nanjing impact Olympics (video)

Aug 27, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

Thomas Bach Getty Images

IOC president sits down with Lewis Johnson at Youth Olympics.

19. U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds

Aug 27, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT

Sabrina Massialas Getty Images

How can we apply the results looking ahead to the Rio Olympics?

20. Zurich Diamond League final preview

Aug 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT

David Rudisha Getty Images

Diamond Races up for grabs, plus Gay vs. Powell in the 100m.