Bradley Wiggins might be done with Tour de France

Jun 21, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT

Bernard Papon/Presse Sports via US PRESSWIRE Bernard Papon/Presse Sports via US PRESSWIRE

After Bradley Wiggins gave British cycling fans (read: roughly the whole nation) the thrill of their sporting year by winning the Tour de France and then taking gold at the Olympics a couple weeks later, most hoped the newly knighted Sir would go on to continue dominating the sport in 2013.

But a knee injury and a recent illness has derailed Wiggins’s 2013 Tour de France title defense before it began, and now the famous road cyclist has told Britain’s Sky TV that he doesn’t know if he’s willing to put in the training for another Tour.

“For me it was always about winning the Tour,” the seven-time Olympic medalist explained Friday. “I’ve done that. If I’m honest I don’t think I’m prepared to make those sacrifices again that I made last year, with my family and so on. I’ve achieved what I’ve achieved. I’m incredibly happy with that.

“If I do anything else after this it will be stuff I want to do, stuff that I’m willing to train hard and sacrifice for really. For me it was always about winning the Tour, that was a huge thing for me, a huge journey; I’ve been doing that four years. I don’t know if I’d want to go through all that again to be honest. I’ve always had other goals and there are other things I’d like to try and do.”

Despite the injury, Wiggins is already back on his bike training for the Tour of Poland, the Tour of Britain, and the world championships in Florence, Italy while he continues to get treatments on his knee.

Latest Posts
  1. Debbie Phelps texted Michael Phelps about Rio 2016 years ago (video)

Apr 17, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT

Debbie Phelps Getty Images

“I’m like, Michael, 2016, Rio, 50 free, 100 free, just a relay.”

2. Michael Phelps, Katie Ledecky tie in 400m freestyle

Apr 17, 2015, 3:06 PM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

The finals are at 9 p.m. ET on Universal Sports.

3. Yevgeny Plushenko to return to figure skating competition

Apr 17, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT

Evgeni Plushenko AP

Plushenko wants to compete in a fifth Olympics in 2018.

4. St. Louis Marathon disqualifies woman who crossed finish line first

Apr 17, 2015, 10:29 AM EDT

St. Louis Marathon

It took organizers about 20 minutes to figure out what happened Sunday.

5. Michael Phelps back with ‘OK’ victory in Mesa

Apr 17, 2015, 8:42 AM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps outdueled Ryan Lochte, but he was slower than last year.

6. Michael Phelps could be offered World Championships spot by FINA

Apr 16, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT

AP AP

If Phelps is added by FINA, the U.S. might be able to try for podium sweeps at the World Championships.

7. Michael Phelps fastest in first race since August

Apr 16, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT

AP AP

Phelps and Ryan Lochte appear headed for a showdown Thursday night.

8. Andrew Wiggins to play for Canada in Olympic qualifying

Apr 16, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT

Andrew Wiggins Getty Images

Canada has a shot to qualify for its first Olympics since 2000.

9. Aaron Cook, top-ranked taekwondo fighter, switches from Great Britain to Moldova

Apr 16, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

“There is no legitimate case for nationality change,” a British official said.

10. Eugene gets 2021 World Track and Field Championships

Apr 16, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT

Prefontaine Classic Getty Images

See Eugene’s bid video for 2019 that failed to get a taste of what Worlds will be like in the U.S.

11. Michael Phelps accepts missing World Championships, eyes Rio Olympics

Apr 15, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps discussed his time away from swimming during his suspension.

12. Watch Rio Olympic park construction progress video

Apr 15, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT

Rio Olympic Park

The video states that the swimming stadium is 58 percent complete.

13. Kristin Armstrong ends cycling retirement

Apr 14, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT

Kristin Armstrong Getty Images

Armstrong explained her comeback on social media.

14. Four storylines to watch at Pro Swim Series at Mesa

Apr 14, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT

Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte Getty Images

There’s Michael Phelps, but also much more.

15. Tokyo airport terminal designed like running track

Apr 14, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT

Narita Airport track Getty Images

The blue track is for departures, and the red for arrivals.

16. Who is the most dominant U.S. woman on road to Rio Olympics?

Apr 13, 2015, 1:52 PM EDT

Katie Ledecky, Claressa Shields, Gwen Jorgensen, Simone Biles Getty Images

A swimmer, a boxer, a triathlete and a gymnast all look unbeatable.

17. Gracie Gold to start work on triple Axel, quad Salchow

Apr 13, 2015, 11:58 AM EDT

Gracie Gold Getty Images

Only one woman is currently doing a triple Axel, and none are doing quads.