Bradley Wiggins might be done with Tour de France

Jun 21, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT

Bernard Papon/Presse Sports via US PRESSWIRE Bernard Papon/Presse Sports via US PRESSWIRE

After Bradley Wiggins gave British cycling fans (read: roughly the whole nation) the thrill of their sporting year by winning the Tour de France and then taking gold at the Olympics a couple weeks later, most hoped the newly knighted Sir would go on to continue dominating the sport in 2013.

But a knee injury and a recent illness has derailed Wiggins’s 2013 Tour de France title defense before it began, and now the famous road cyclist has told Britain’s Sky TV that he doesn’t know if he’s willing to put in the training for another Tour.

“For me it was always about winning the Tour,” the seven-time Olympic medalist explained Friday. “I’ve done that. If I’m honest I don’t think I’m prepared to make those sacrifices again that I made last year, with my family and so on. I’ve achieved what I’ve achieved. I’m incredibly happy with that.

“If I do anything else after this it will be stuff I want to do, stuff that I’m willing to train hard and sacrifice for really. For me it was always about winning the Tour, that was a huge thing for me, a huge journey; I’ve been doing that four years. I don’t know if I’d want to go through all that again to be honest. I’ve always had other goals and there are other things I’d like to try and do.”

Despite the injury, Wiggins is already back on his bike training for the Tour of Poland, the Tour of Britain, and the world championships in Florence, Italy while he continues to get treatments on his knee.

Latest Posts
  1. Talk of a sub-two-hour marathon

Sep 29, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT

Dennis Kimetto Getty Images

Dennis Kimetto’s record-smashing win in Berlin brings the barrier into closer view.

2. ISU wants synchronized figure skating in Winter Olympics

Sep 29, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT

Synchronized Skating Getty Images

ISU asks for synchronized skating and a new speed skating event for 2018.

3. Yevgeny Plushenko wants to prove he ‘is not a coward’

Sep 29, 2014, 10:27 AM EDT

Yevgeny Plushenko Getty Images

Plushenko received criticism for withdrawing at Sochi Olympics.

4. Dennis Kimetto breaks world record at Berlin Marathon (video)

Sep 28, 2014, 5:40 AM EDT

Dennis Kimetto Getty Images

Third Kenyan in four years to break the record in Berlin.

5. Brittney Griner leads U.S. past early China test in Worlds opener

Sep 27, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT

2014 WNBA Finals - Game One Getty Images

Griner played her first game in a Team USA uniform in three years.

6. Gracie Gold third at Nebelhorn Trophy

Sep 27, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT

Gracie Gold Getty Images

U.S. champion shaky in season debut.

7. Jason Brown wins Nebelhorn Trophy

Sep 26, 2014, 4:39 PM EDT

Jason Brown Getty Images

First senior international victory for the U.S. Olympian.

8. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross eliminated in final tournament of 2014

Sep 26, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT

Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross Getty Images

Walsh/Ross go into 2015 with no match experience against upstart Brazilian threat.

9. IOC adds anti-discrimination clause to Olympic host city contract

Sep 26, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT

Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE

Change comes after issue raised over Russian law for Sochi Olympics.

10. Carolina Kostner questioned 4 hours in ex-boyfriend’s doping case

Sep 26, 2014, 2:38 PM EDT

Carolina Kostner AP

Figure skater “extraneous from the entire case,” attorney said.

11. Olympic sports bodies support U.S. 2024 Olympic bid

Sep 26, 2014, 1:36 PM EDT

Scott Blackmun Getty Images

Forty of 47 organizations respond positively to USOC’s query.

12. Michael Phelps, Katie Ledecky lead Golden Goggles nominees

Sep 26, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

Michael Phelps Michael Phelps

Ryan Lochte absent from major award nominees list for first time since 2006.

13. U.S. women can clinch Olympic berth; FIBA World Championships preview

Sep 26, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT

Maya Moore Getty Images

The U.S.’ path to another world title got easier last week, despite a defeat.

14. Kosuke Hagino not satisfied with 7 medals at Asian Games

Sep 26, 2014, 9:41 AM EDT

Kosuke Hagino Getty Images

Japanese star could do better at 2015 Worlds, but Olympic schedule hurts him.

15. Thomas Morgenstern retires with 3 Olympic ski jumping golds

Sep 26, 2014, 7:52 AM EDT

Thomas Morgenstern Getty Images

Only one Austrian won more Olympic medals in a career.

16. Cadel Evans, Tour de France winner, four-time Olympian, sets retirement

Sep 25, 2014, 7:06 PM EDT

Cadel Evans Getty Images

The first Australian to win the Tour de France first competed in the Olympics in a different cycling discipline.