Bradley Wiggins might be done with Tour de France

Jun 21, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT

Bernard Papon/Presse Sports via US PRESSWIRE Bernard Papon/Presse Sports via US PRESSWIRE

After Bradley Wiggins gave British cycling fans (read: roughly the whole nation) the thrill of their sporting year by winning the Tour de France and then taking gold at the Olympics a couple weeks later, most hoped the newly knighted Sir would go on to continue dominating the sport in 2013.

But a knee injury and a recent illness has derailed Wiggins’s 2013 Tour de France title defense before it began, and now the famous road cyclist has told Britain’s Sky TV that he doesn’t know if he’s willing to put in the training for another Tour.

“For me it was always about winning the Tour,” the seven-time Olympic medalist explained Friday. “I’ve done that. If I’m honest I don’t think I’m prepared to make those sacrifices again that I made last year, with my family and so on. I’ve achieved what I’ve achieved. I’m incredibly happy with that.

“If I do anything else after this it will be stuff I want to do, stuff that I’m willing to train hard and sacrifice for really. For me it was always about winning the Tour, that was a huge thing for me, a huge journey; I’ve been doing that four years. I don’t know if I’d want to go through all that again to be honest. I’ve always had other goals and there are other things I’d like to try and do.”

Despite the injury, Wiggins is already back on his bike training for the Tour of Poland, the Tour of Britain, and the world championships in Florence, Italy while he continues to get treatments on his knee.

Latest Posts
  1. Watch trailers for ‘Touch the Wall’ about Missy Franklin

Oct 21, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT

Missy Franklin

Film documenting Missy Franklin’s lead-up to London debuts next month.

2. Miracle on Ice fantasy camp set for Lake Placid

Oct 21, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

Miracle on Ice camp

Eight members of 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team will conduct spring event.

3. Daron Rahlves, four-time Olympian, in lightsuit skiing video

Oct 21, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT

Daron Rahlves

Red Bull video shows skiers in LED lights at night in Alaska.

4. Boxer attacks referee at European Youth Championships (video)

Oct 21, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT

Boxing gloves Getty Images

Vido Loncar banned for life by Croatian boxing federation.

5. Norway Olympic Committee president to step down

Oct 21, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT

Borre Rognlien Getty Images

Borre Rognlien’s move unrelated to Oslo’s failed bid and threats, according to reports.

6. Oscar Pistorius barred from Rio Paralympics

Oct 21, 2014, 5:37 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Pistorius would not be allowed to run, even if he is out of jail and under correctional supervision.

7. Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison

Oct 21, 2014, 5:18 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Pistorius could serve less than one year in prison.

8. The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record

Oct 20, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT

Mike Powell Getty Images

A look back at the greatest head-to-head duel in track and field history.

9. Bill Demong to run New York City Marathon

Oct 20, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT

Bill Demong Getty Images

Olympic champion hasn’t retired from Nordic combined, either.

10. Bangalore half marathon leaders get lost, forced to take train

Oct 20, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT

Bangalore Marathon Getty Images

“Morning joggers helped us and also guided us to the nearest metro station.”

11. Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale have Olympic 100m final speed, Liverpool manager says

Oct 20, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale Getty Images

How fast would they have to traverse the Bernabeu to have Olympic 100m final speed?

12. Lindsey Vonn still struggles with depression

Oct 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Lindsey Vonn Getty Images

Olympic downhill champion told German magazine she has good days and bad days.

13. Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals

Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Apolo Ohno AP

Ohno said he went into “full warrior mode” in Hawaii.

14. Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos)

Oct 20, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT

ATHLETICS-CHN-MARATHON-BEIJING Getty Images

U.S. Embassy scale had air pollution level at “hazardous.”

15. IOC wants ‘full explanation’ from Russian about ‘Williams brothers’ comments

Oct 20, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT

Shamil Tarpischev Getty Images

Shamil Tarpischev, Russian tennis president, is also a longtime IOC member.

16. Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season

Oct 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

Aksel Lund Svindal Getty Images

How top Americans, Austrian going for history will be affected this World Cup season.

17. Shaun White brings Air & Style event to Rose Bowl

Oct 17, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

Shaun White Getty Images

Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion won’t be competing, though.

18. Michelle Kwan, Sarah Hughes opine on skating to lyrics

Oct 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Michelle Kwan Getty Images

Top U.S. skaters are incorporating new rule into their programs this season.