Bradley Wiggins might be done with Tour de France

Jun 21, 2013, 12:21 PM EST

Bernard Papon/Presse Sports via US PRESSWIRE Bernard Papon/Presse Sports via US PRESSWIRE

After Bradley Wiggins gave British cycling fans (read: roughly the whole nation) the thrill of their sporting year by winning the Tour de France and then taking gold at the Olympics a couple weeks later, most hoped the newly knighted Sir would go on to continue dominating the sport in 2013.

But a knee injury and a recent illness has derailed Wiggins’s 2013 Tour de France title defense before it began, and now the famous road cyclist has told Britain’s Sky TV that he doesn’t know if he’s willing to put in the training for another Tour.

“For me it was always about winning the Tour,” the seven-time Olympic medalist explained Friday. “I’ve done that. If I’m honest I don’t think I’m prepared to make those sacrifices again that I made last year, with my family and so on. I’ve achieved what I’ve achieved. I’m incredibly happy with that.

“If I do anything else after this it will be stuff I want to do, stuff that I’m willing to train hard and sacrifice for really. For me it was always about winning the Tour, that was a huge thing for me, a huge journey; I’ve been doing that four years. I don’t know if I’d want to go through all that again to be honest. I’ve always had other goals and there are other things I’d like to try and do.”

Despite the injury, Wiggins is already back on his bike training for the Tour of Poland, the Tour of Britain, and the world championships in Florence, Italy while he continues to get treatments on his knee.

Latest Posts
  1. Boston Marathon finish line shoveled by Ironman triathlete

Jan 28, 2015, 3:23 PM EST

Boston Marathon finish line shoveled

“I only did it to send a message,” shoveler said.

2. K.C. Boutiette returns to World Cup speed skating for first time since 2006

Jan 28, 2015, 2:02 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

An Olympic legend helped convince him to come back, possibly for the 2018 Olympics.

3. Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season

Jan 27, 2015, 4:14 PM EST

Tori Bowie Getty Images

Bowie may try to make the World Championships team in three individual events.

4. Yohan Blake details ‘dreams’ for 2015

Jan 27, 2015, 2:37 PM EST

Yohan Blake Getty Images

Once Usain Bolt’s top rival, the Jamaican is returning from a second major injury in as many years.

5. Lance Armstrong on forgiveness: ‘We’re getting close to that time’

Jan 26, 2015, 2:41 PM EST

AP AP

Armstrong touched on many topics in a BBC interview.

6. Martina Hingis eyes Rio Olympics

Jan 26, 2015, 10:58 AM EST

Martina Hingis Getty Images

Could Hingis return to Olympic tennis, 20 years after her only Olympic appearance?

7. South Korean Olympic swim champ Park Tae-hwan fails drug test

Jan 26, 2015, 8:41 AM EST

Park Tae-hwan Getty Images

Park’s management agency cited “an illegal injection administered by a local doctor.”

8. Jason Brown wins first U.S. figure skating title

Jan 25, 2015, 9:48 PM EST

AP AP

Brown is the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.

9. Sage Kotsenburg, Jamie Anderson beaten in Winter X Games slopestyle

Jan 25, 2015, 7:35 PM EST

Sage Kotsenburg Getty Images

Instead, past Winter X Games champions prevailed in Aspen.

10. WATCH LIVE: U.S. Figure Skating Championships men’s free skate — 4 p.m. ET

Jan 25, 2015, 3:00 PM EST

Jason Brown Getty Images

Jason Brown tries to become the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.

11. WATCH LIVE: ‘Lindsey Vonn: The Climb’ documentary — 3 p.m. ET

Jan 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

Lindsey Vonn

An inside look at the skier’s comeback from two major knee surgeries.

12. Lindsey Vonn wins final race before World Championships (video)

Jan 25, 2015, 7:36 AM EST

AP AP

Vonn captured victory No. 64 in St. Moritz, Switzerland.

13. Ashley Wagner shatters records for third U.S. figure skating title

Jan 24, 2015, 11:50 PM EST

Ashley Wagner Getty Images

Wagner becomes the oldest women’s champion since Michelle Kwan.

14. Chloe Kim wins Winter X Games halfpipe at age 14

Jan 24, 2015, 9:15 PM EST

Chloe Kim Getty Images

Kim outdueled the greatest snowboarder of all time.

15. WATCH LIVE: U.S. Figure Skating Championships — 8 p.m. ET

Jan 24, 2015, 7:00 PM EST

AP AP

Gracie Gold wants to deny history for Ashley Wagner.

16. WATCH LIVE: U.S. Figure Skating Championships — 3 p.m. ET

Jan 24, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

Maia Shibutani, Alex Shibutani Getty Images

Pairs free skate and free dance national titles to be awarded.

17. Lindsey Vonn struggles in St. Moritz downhill (video)

Jan 24, 2015, 6:23 AM EST

AP AP

Vonn missed an opportunity to all but clinch the World Cup season downhill title.

18. Jason Brown leads U.S. short program; quad debate stoked

Jan 23, 2015, 11:58 PM EST

Jason Brown

Brown is poised to become the youngest U.S. men’s champion in 11 years.

19. Lindsey Jacobellis wins ninth Winter X Games title

Jan 23, 2015, 3:12 PM EST

Lindsey Jacobellis Getty Images

Jacobellis has now won 13 gold medals in 18 major championships.