Bradley Wiggins might be done with Tour de France

Jun 21, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT

Bernard Papon/Presse Sports via US PRESSWIRE Bernard Papon/Presse Sports via US PRESSWIRE

After Bradley Wiggins gave British cycling fans (read: roughly the whole nation) the thrill of their sporting year by winning the Tour de France and then taking gold at the Olympics a couple weeks later, most hoped the newly knighted Sir would go on to continue dominating the sport in 2013.

But a knee injury and a recent illness has derailed Wiggins’s 2013 Tour de France title defense before it began, and now the famous road cyclist has told Britain’s Sky TV that he doesn’t know if he’s willing to put in the training for another Tour.

“For me it was always about winning the Tour,” the seven-time Olympic medalist explained Friday. “I’ve done that. If I’m honest I don’t think I’m prepared to make those sacrifices again that I made last year, with my family and so on. I’ve achieved what I’ve achieved. I’m incredibly happy with that.

“If I do anything else after this it will be stuff I want to do, stuff that I’m willing to train hard and sacrifice for really. For me it was always about winning the Tour, that was a huge thing for me, a huge journey; I’ve been doing that four years. I don’t know if I’d want to go through all that again to be honest. I’ve always had other goals and there are other things I’d like to try and do.”

Despite the injury, Wiggins is already back on his bike training for the Tour of Poland, the Tour of Britain, and the world championships in Florence, Italy while he continues to get treatments on his knee.

Latest Posts
  1. South Sudan set for Olympic recognition

Jul 28, 2015, 9:14 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

A South Sudanese marathon runner competed under a different flag at London 2012.

2. Haley Anderson makes second Olympic team

Jul 28, 2015, 7:09 AM EDT

AP AP

Her 17-year-old teammate missed out, though, at the World Championships.

3. Phil Dalhausser, Sean Rosenthal split

Jul 27, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

An injury to Dalhausser spelled doom to their partnership.

4. Boston ends bid for 2024 Olympics; USOC wants another city

Jul 27, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Boston 2024

The 2024 bid race is down to four cities.

5. Kerri Walsh Jennings to return at World Series of Beach Volleyball in August

Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The three-time Olympic champion hasn’t played since dislocating a shoulder July 10.

6. Olympic equestrian champ’s ban lifted in horse doping case

Jul 27, 2015, 4:36 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Steve Guerdat’s provisional ban was announced last Tuesday.

7. Boston mayor: Olympic bid won’t go forward if forced to sign contract today

Jul 27, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT

Boston 2024

Public support in Boston and Massachusetts has been less than 50 percent for months.

8. Nike makes Ashton Eaton a ‘cooling hood’

Jul 27, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT

Nike Cooling Mask Nike

“Why does it feel good, after running, to pour a bottle of water over your head?”

9. Can Tour de France stars contend for medals at 2016 Olympics?

Jul 27, 2015, 8:48 AM EDT

AP AP

The Rio Games open less than two weeks after the 2016 Tour de France ends.

10. U.S. women dominate en route to FIVB World Grand Prix title

Jul 27, 2015, 8:18 AM EDT

AP AP

The U.S. can achieve an Olympic first in Rio de Janeiro next year.

11. Bill May becomes first man to win World Synchronized Swimming Championship

Jul 27, 2015, 7:36 AM EDT

AP AP

May is a 36-year-old Cirque du Soleil performer who came out of a 10-year retirement.

12. Neymar: I told Barcelona I want to play in Rio Olympics

Jul 26, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Brazil’s coach has said Neymar’s Olympic participation is dependent on talks with Barcelona.

13. Michael Phelps: I’ve looked at my 22 medals together once or twice

Jul 26, 2015, 2:34 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

More highlights from Phelps’ Q&A at the Doha Goals Forum.

14. Simone Biles routs Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman at Secret Classic

Jul 25, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT

AP AP

Next up are the P&G Championships in three weeks.

15. Jennifer Wu makes 2016 U.S. Olympic team in table tennis

Jul 25, 2015, 7:06 PM EDT

AP AP

Wu is the second athlete to make the 2016 U.S. Olympic team across all sports.

16. Simone Biles as powerful as male gymnasts, Jonathan Horton says

Jul 25, 2015, 7:43 AM EDT

AP AP

“She is as dominant as any athlete in any sport,” USA Gymnastics president Steve Penny said.

17. Shawn Johnson engaged after throwing first pitch (video)

Jul 24, 2015, 7:09 PM EDT

Shawn Johnson, Andrew East

Johnson is at least the fourth member of the 2008 U.S. Olympic women’s gymnastics team to get engaged.

18. Usain Bolt returns with quick 100m wins in London

Jul 24, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT

AP AP

Less than a month until a showdown with Justin Gatlin at the World Championships.