Jun 20, 2013, 4:04 PM EST
World 100m champ Carmelita Jeter will apparently skip her signature race at U.S. nationals, which started Thursday, to rest a sore right quadriceps.
Her coach, John Smith, told the AP they “didn’t want to take any chances” in the lead up to Worlds. And because she’s the defending champ from 2011, the 33-year-old sprinter gets an automatic bid this August’s race in Moscow, which means she doesn’t actually need to compete at nationals anyway in order to defend her 100m title.
However, London 200m gold medalist Allyson Felix, who famously finished third in a dead heat with Jeneba Tarmoh at last years 100m race, then forced a runoff that never actually happened, also isn’t on this year’s 100m start list. She’ll instead stick to what she does best as she looks to earn back the 200m world title she won in 2007 and 2009.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:11 AM EST
IOC member and former South Africa Olympic Committee president previously said the nation was readying to bid.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:21 AM EST
Bowe skated with dominance not seen since 2003.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:47 AM EST
Vonn is three away from another World Cup mark.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:44 AM EST
Austrian rival puts on a dominating performance in Garmisch.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:31 AM EST
Vonn will get another chance on Monday.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:05 AM EST
Rousey is undefeated in 11 pro fights since winning Olympic judo bronze in 2008.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:03 AM EST
Meyers Taylor improved from silver medals at the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:55 PM EST
Rio government organization published two videos looking at the construction of Olympic Park.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EST
Nibali might not be able to defend his Tour de France title as an Astana rider.
Feb 27, 2015, 12:52 PM EST
Ashton Eaton, Brianne Theisen-Eaton are taking different paths to potential gold in Rio.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
“Athletes have wanted this changed for a very long time. It’s been a very long discussion.”
Feb 26, 2015, 4:48 PM EST
U.S. Olympic legend said yes. Top U.S. gymnast says no.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:48 AM EST
Meanwhile, the Olympic champion is well back in Winterberg.
Feb 25, 2015, 3:34 PM EST
“Would I really slow down that much that I wouldn’t make the (Olympic) team? I don’t think so.”
Feb 25, 2015, 12:17 PM EST
The U.S. is undefeated in six editions of the Ryder Cup-style event.
Feb 25, 2015, 10:37 AM EST
The Opening and Closing ceremonies will be held at a venue separate from the Olympic Stadium for track and field.
Feb 24, 2015, 1:13 PM EST
Powell says he hasn’t competed since 2001.
Feb 24, 2015, 11:08 AM EST
The only NCAA Player of the Year winner since 1997 not to play for the U.S. at a Worlds or Olympics.
Feb 24, 2015, 10:35 AM EST
Olympians nearly double the previous U.S. tally for World Championships medals.
Feb 24, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
Inside the locker room with the players and more.
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Marcel Hirscher’s historically dominant win just about ends Ted Ligety’s title hopes (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined 0
- Elana Meyers Taylor wins historic bobsled World Championship (video) 1
- World’s most athletic couple takes the next leap 0
- Is Simone Biles unbeatable? 0
- Rio Olympics could have multiple cauldrons 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)